Author Topic: Worried - tummy sleeping  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Pendle Girl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Worried - tummy sleeping
« on: September 03, 2005, 06:25:25 am »
My lo is 6 weeks old.  She has always had an aversion to being on her back - whether in your arms, in her moses basket or in her pram - and now will only sleep on her tummy.

She will not sleep on her back at all, will go for around 30 - 45 minutes on her side but will sleep properly for hours on her front.

Now with all the info around on SIDS I am paranoid about her.  I sleep her in our room and have her on a breathing monitor, but still worry.

I have tried swaddling her, but given up - she just screams until you undo her.

Does anyone have any ideas or any tummy sleepers?

By the way, she can raise herself up and turn her head completely from side to side when lying on her front.

Offline webfoot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
Worried - tummy sleeping
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 06:33:20 am »
I slept my last two on their tummy's and should have slept my first born too.

IMHO the bottom line is babies are more secure on their tummys, on their backs their arms flail w/ the morrow relflex and startle them awake. Swaddling, or sleepign on side with positioners are two options. I slept my last two tummy down during naps b/c I could check on them frequentlky then swaddled on side at night.

My understanding is that the data connecting the "back to sleep" and reduction in SIDS is inconclusive. There are many other factors that need to be considered. When I disucussed it with my pediatrician she said that the biggest risk for SIDS was: Male, underweight at birth, african american, smoker in the home. As we haven't met most of those (except the male) that helped me feel at ease. I make sure they are ONLY on the mattress with a sheet on top and no pillows or comforers/ blakets are near their face. (ds often naps in our bed)

I will say my younger two are my good sleepers, I really think there is something much more secure about sleeping on your tummy.
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline Pendle Girl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Worried - tummy sleeping
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 06:55:20 am »
Thanks Tanya, that eases my mind a little. 

What did you use as positioners for side sleeping?

Offline webfoot

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
Worried - tummy sleeping
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 07:27:23 am »
This is what I used:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007B769/qid=1125732337/br=1-10/ref=br_lf_ba_10//102-1032578-7169754?v=glance&s=baby&n=542402

I think you could probably use two rolled up towels too. I'm done with mine and put it in the bag for the teen mother home. If you want it I'm happy to send if you pay postage.
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Worried - tummy sleeping
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 09:02:27 am »
This is a related question on baby sleeping on his tummy... my ds recently started rolling over but it never affected his sleep until now.  As of yesterday, he started rolling over onto his stomach, which wouldn't bother me if he would turn his head to the side and fall asleep.  Instead, he keeps his head straight down into the mattress!   :?:  :?: I don't get it!

I swaddled him tonight (much to his alarm) because I was afraid of him doing this while I was asleep.  Though I normally awake to his movement (he sleeps in a crib in our room), I haven't slept much in the last few days because he used to wake up when he rolled over, now I'm so tired I could sleep through his movements.

Any suggestions?  Has anyone else's dc done this?  If so, what did you do and what was the outcome?  I'm at a loss here!  Any help would be appreciated!
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Worried - tummy sleeping
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 09:11:15 am »
Nevermind... I just found this posting which should help:

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/urgent-rolling-over-onto-tummy-at-night-vt34870.html

(I guess I should do a quick search first before posting ;-))
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna