Author Topic: looking for vegan cake for 1st bday  (Read 2454 times)

Offline arclarc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
looking for vegan cake for 1st bday
« on: September 03, 2005, 10:41:48 am »
my son turned one today and we are going to have a party in a few days.  we just tried dairy again, and he still has a reaction to it.  we have not tested soy yet and will not have time before the big day.  the grand parents are throwing him a party and really wants him to have cake.

does anyone have baby cake recipes that are non dairy and non soy?

Offline Jamasco

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 11:01:20 am »
Do you have the book whatpect the first year?  I think the have some recipes.  If not just Google it and you should get plentyof choices!

Good Luck and HappyBday tou your little one.
Janis

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 17:39:47 pm »
Thanks to Theo's Mom for posting this recipe for "puddle cake" waaaaay back in November of last year. (I have it hanging on my fridge. :)) Yu can even make it with toddlers, and because it's egg-free you can lick the beater! (fork)

1-1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
5 T. cocoa
6 T. oil
1 T. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. water

Put all dry ingredients into an 8x8 baking pan. Sift together with fork. Have child dig 3 holes (puddles): one large, one medium, one small. Put the vanilla into the small hole, the vinegar into the medium hole, and the oil into the large hole. Pour the water over the top and mix well with the fork. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or til toothpick comes out clean. Frost as desired or sprinkle w/powdered sugar.

From posts that were after it, apparently Pillsbury chocolate frosting is dairy-free, as is Duncan Hunes, if I remember correctly.

HTH!

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 17:58:14 pm »
I have a fabulous vegan cookbook that has great cake recipes, including a lemon-blueberry pudding cake and a carrot cake.  One of those might make a good 1st birthday cake.  It's called Voluptuous Vegan and it's by Myra Kornfeld.  I've never tasted such delicious vegan desserts.

You can also make a carrot or pumpkin cake and use applesauce in place of the eggs.  If you do get a chance to try soy, use pureed silken tofu instead.  The cake will be heavier, but very moist.  If you aren't worried about eggs, just dairy, then you can make almost any cake and use margarine or oil instead of butter.

HTH!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09