Author Topic: Up at 30 min happy, now what?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Up at 30 min happy, now what?
« on: September 03, 2005, 18:43:40 pm »
We went cold turkey on the binkie today and are doing wake to sleep and PU/PD to extend naps.  So I go in at 25 minutes and put my hands on her, she wakes up and is happy and starts babbling.  What then?  My plan is to leave her in there for the duration of the nap, and if she starts crying prior to the end of the nap to start PU/PD to get her to sleep.  But what if she spends the entire nap time happy in her crib, what then?

Of course the other alternative is to accept once and for all that all she needs is three 30 min naps a day, and move on with our lives.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 21:22:41 pm »
Hi Beril!

I don't have anything to say about the pu/pd but I was just curious how she reacted to the cold turkey approach?  I wish I could offer you some new advice  on the naps but I just don't know.  Is she still sleeping well at night the way she was before?

Zelka

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 21:27:18 pm »
Just another thought, have you tried putting black paper on his window to keep out the light? Of course, put white on the other side that faces the outside so it looks like blinds.  I've heard that this works.

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 21:35:40 pm »
Hi Zelka,
Actually it wasn't as awful as I expected it to be.  I think it helped that we had gradually weaned her off of having the paci in her mouth while she was falling asleep, so what we had to break was relying on it to relax.  I just had to spend more time with her to calm her down instead of relying on the paci and unfortunately there were tears involved.  I also went back to being really particular with the routine, have to admit I had gotten a little sloppy there, having acquired a bit of a defeatist attitude. 

She still woke up after 30 min on both the am and the pm nap.  On the first nap I was able to do pu/pd after she started getting fussy (which wasn't terrible, only 7-10 times) and got another 45 min nap out of her.  In the pm nap, did pu/pd again after the first short nap and got her calmed down but she did not sleep -- just hung out in the crib.  I had to put her down for another nap late so she's not overtired for bedtime and got another 45 min.  All in all, I'm considering this day a success: total 2.5 hrs of sleep made up 4 naps, 2 30 min and 2 45 min.  Whew!

Oh, and on the curtains... Everyone who sees her room thinks I must be a little crazy - not only do I have black out backed drapes making the room very dark - I also have navy blue sheets hanging over the crib posts.  LOL.  She's an incredibly spirited one!
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 00:33:14 am »
Wow, you really do have your bases covered when it comes to darkening the room! 

I don't think your day sounded too bad either,...yes, work is involved on your part but it seems like baby steps (no pun intended) are being made!  I think it's great that you were able to extend her naps without the paci.  And especially the fact that she hung out in the crib is great, too!  That's pretty amazing!

I hope your day tomorrow is just as good if not better and I hope someone can answer your pu/pd questions.

Good luck!