Author Topic: Do I have to do the sssh/pat everytime?  (Read 1087 times)

jade's mum

Do I have to do the sssh/pat everytime?
« on: September 04, 2005, 00:28:44 am »
I've been using the sssh/pat technique for about two weeks now and in the beginning, I had to do it everytime because my lo (7wks old) would get grumpy when I put in her bassinet, but I'm wondering when I'll be able to put her down and not do the sssh/pat? (I usually do this approx 30mins)

If I lay her down and she is awake but not grumpy, can I just leave or should I be waiting until she sleeping?  Can the sssh/pat start being a prop where she can't fall asleep unless I do it?

I am not lot looking forward to still be doing this when she is 6mths - 1 year old!!..... aaarggghh!

Any advice would be appreciated  :D

su-en

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 08:39:56 am »
My six week old goes down without it. I started doing it at first but then found he got restless and I guessed overstimulated so i stopped. After reading lots of different opinions I now give Him the dummy at nap times (only) instead. We do a very short wind down routine I put him in his cot say goodnight and walk away. I couldn't believe my luck when I found this works for us. I do odd things in the house near by just in case he drops his dummy before he sleeps after 15 min I know he is asleep. So I think in these situations the less you do the better. you don't want a routine which is more work than it needs to be. It's a case of trial and error until you find what works for you and your little LO. :D

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 19:18:57 pm »
See what she'll do if you just lay her down.  It's always a good idea to give your little one a chance to fall asleep on her own.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004