Author Topic: My DS won't dream feed... any advice?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
My DS won't dream feed... any advice?
« on: September 07, 2005, 17:07:09 pm »
Hi all - Ive been getting my little man onto the EASY routine for a few days and already I can see that he is greatly appreciating the routine as his naps are certainly better and he is sleeping more soundly during his naps. Also Ive noticed that his feeds have now gone from once every 2 hours to once every 3 hours which is great.
I'm still having problems at night though as he's waking all over the place and taking ages to settle down after each feed and ends up grunting and thrashing about in his crib until I get back up to him then he falls fast asleep in my arms - and when I put him down in the crib there he is thrashing about again. I find I get an average of 90 mins sleep each night and its driving me mad..
Firstly to try to help I was hoping to try to do a dream feed as described on here but Ive found that when I put the bottle to his lips or wiggle it into his mouth he just doesnt suck at all... in fact he does nothing and there I am holding a bottle in his mouth for no reason. I thought it was a reflex and all babies should do it... what am I doing wrong?
Has anyone any more advice for helping me to keep my little one as settled in the night as he has become during the day?

Helen and William (7 weeks old)

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
My DS won't dream feed... any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 17:50:11 pm »
Hello...just wondering if during the day after you feed him, do you usually keep him upright for a while?  It seems that he is uncomfortable at night when you put him down.  I was thinking maybe he could have a touch of reflux?  Just a thought...you may want to check out the reflux board for more symptoms.  :D

As for the dreamfeed...I know for us, the first ones took about 5-10 minutes of fiddling around and then after a few days they just "knew" what to do.  At first they will probably only take an ounce or two but after a week or so it should increase.  If you find that he just absolutely will not take a dreamfeed you could concentrate on cluster feeding instead.  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom