Author Topic: Newborn day/night issues  (Read 1191 times)

Offline annas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 45
Newborn day/night issues
« on: September 04, 2005, 10:32:32 am »
HI all
     Ok I know it is VERY early days, but DS, born 31/8/05 has his days and nights mixed up. My milk came yesterday, so I know he will start to be taking in more calories now, but bottom line is he wakes for a feed every2.5-3.5 hours during the day , but pretty much drops straight back off to sleep despite winding, changing nappy etc.  This  happens until about 5pm when he is a bit more alert and will stay awake , feed at 7-8 ish then go back to sleep until 10-11pm. After that I have not been able to get him back into his moses basket until 4-5.30am in the morning!! We end up in a cycle of feeding, winding, putting down, him not settling, trying winding again, then feeding, then winding, which takes up to between 2-3am where I cuddle him and let him fall asleep on my chest for an hour or 2 while I doze on and off. I then feed him again we do the winding  - he may feed again within the same hour /hour and a half then will finally let himself be put back in his moses basket where he will sleep until his next feed is due 3 hours later. Meanwhile we will have had to get up with our 21 month old toddler!!

Sooo!! - strategies?
1) is it still a bit early to try and tackel this or will it work itself out?
2)things I thought I would try: - rolled up blankets in his crib so he feels more secure - but doesn't need them during the day  :roll: , breast pad in the moses basket, white nosie after first big feed at 11pm , infacol colic drops prior to breast feeding as we don't always get a burp from him (but again no different to day time!! :roll: ), swaddle with larger sheeet to get tighter swaddle.  -
thats all I can think of!! - Any suggestions or comments from you ladies would be greatly apreeciated as I'm pretty tired!!

Regards
Clare

Annas mum (DD Anna 21 months) and DS Nathan 4 days old!!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Newborn day/night issues
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 11:37:58 am »
yikes!!! very early days indeed!!!  i'm impressed you're already at the computer!  :D

i would just try little things to help your lo realize the difference at this point - things like talking during the day, exposure to sunshine for a little bit (or at least a window).

i wouldn't expect to see fast results... more of a gradual building...

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy