Author Topic: keeps standing up!!  (Read 1994 times)

Offline bextala

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
keeps standing up!!
« on: September 04, 2005, 11:40:39 am »
I need some help, my 7 month old daughter has been fine at going to sleep although i have always stayed with her whislt she is dropping off, but now she decides she will scream and stand up in her cot!!!!  Last night this went on for an hour with maybe 3 ,2minute breaks when it looked like she was going to sleep. At the minute i just lay her down and say Mammas here. Last night she stood up 31 times!!!

She is also a bit ill at the minute (cold) so don't know if i shpuld just hold her....

someone please help, i need her to go to sleep on her own.
I am a single mum so i have to deal with this all myself.

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
keeps standing up!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 12:25:52 pm »
Oh Hugs hun
Best advise i can give you is look at the PUPD boards. Do you have any of tracys books?? I found the sleep interview very helpful as well.
xx

Offline bextala

• Showing Appreciation 0
keeps standing up!!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 18:18:13 pm »
ok i'm going a bit crazy and just need some support, it has taken her 1hr 10 minutes to go to sleep, she stood up 53 times, she kept closing her eyes then suddenly opening eyes and screaming and then stood up, reaching out for me!!! I didn't give in but was getting extremley frustrated.....ARGGHHHH :evil:

Offline annas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 45
keeps standing up!!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 18:31:07 pm »
just wanted to send you words of support - you sound like you are doing exactly the right thing, and it is most likely to be a phase she is going through now she knows she can stand up!! My DD did the same type of thing when she learnt to stand , and it took a couple of weeks of not changing anything and encouraging her to lie down that the novelty wore off. Take a deep breath , and repeat the mantra - this too shall pass (hard I kn ow when you're completely shattered and just want you good sleeper back!)

HTH
Clare

Mum to DD Anna 21 months and DS Nathan 4 days old today!

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
keeps standing up!!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 18:37:55 pm »
Not sure if this will help or hinder.. we got tired of keep putting her down when she does this, she turns it into a game. So i leave her until she cries out, usually when she's thrown comforter out of cot, or she can't get back down, then we go in and lie her bck down. Sometimes we say, it's night time, goodnight etc, sometimes we don't say anything at all.

this way, she doesn't necessarily go to sleep any quicker but she doesn't see it as a game and we don't end up getting cross with her.

It works for us.
Kimberley

Offline littlestar

• Showing Appreciation 0
Did you leave the room
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 20:39:52 pm »
Dear Evanskimberly's mum,

Did you leave the room while she was standing in her cot and did she cry when you left the room??

My baby is 10 months old soon and he's still standing up but not crying anymore as i stay there till he goes down, did pu/pd but takes a while. These 3 wks since 9months, early waking is the prob. DD goes down around 7pm and wakes at 0530/0610am. How to get him back to sleep? He would scream and cry for me soon after he wakes up and stand in the cot.

HELP!!!! thank you!! :cry:

Offline cindy_30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
keeps standing up!!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 14:53:47 pm »
I am going through this right now, but my little guy doesn't cry, he thinks it's a game.  I tried leaving the room, but he'll stand there for over an hour, so that didn't work.  Next, I tried a chair beside his crib and kept putting him down, but that didn't work either, as soon as I put him down, he'd roll over as quick as he could and would be right up again.  So, now I'm sitting in the corner and I'm firm with him, letting it no that it wasn't a game.   He's getting the hint (at least I feel he is).  He might stand up a couple of times, but eventually he just lies there and plays with his blanket.   Eventually, I'm going to move closer to the door and hopefully will be out of the room and back to our regular routine.  I spoke to a couple of friends about this and they say it's a phase....hopefully one that goes away fast.

Offline pickle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 15:50:02 pm »
Hello out there,
just to let you all know we are all in the same boat, my 8 month old boy has doing it for the last month, he to thinks it funny, i just leave the room and wait till he cries then lay him down again, try putting on a dvd, we got a portable one so he can watch finding nemo( his fav film at the mo)
that usually sends him off but it can take an hour or so. Also he is teething and tring to walk, he hasn't worked out he can't yet so i think there minds work overtime, he wakes about 3 times a night aswell now and he used to sleep 7 till 7 now it's more like 8.30 till 6 ( if i'm lucky!!)
Lets hope they all get board real soon
Good luck everyone
Kerry
k d hills

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
keeps standing up!!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 17:54:55 pm »
Hi, if she stands up, I go in and lie her back down say goodnight again and then make a sharp exit. Sometimes if she's in a really playful mood she'll be up before I've left the room but I still leave. I try not to go back until she cries for me.

I would recommend not worrying about how long it takes, she's been up in her cot for well over an hour several times, I see it that as long as she's stabnding up, she can't be that tired, so just leave her to it. However we do have a textbook baby, who is very independent and used to being on her own. You may not be as happy leaving them as us.

As for the early morning, i don't think I can help there, we get up early anyway, so if she woke up between 5.30 and 6 I'd go in and say, its still night time, go back to sleep, give her her dummy and put her music on. If she went back of then great, if not we got up a bit earlier and played

It is a really tricky time, but hang in ther, did yo see my other post? today she lay down on her own for the first time!!!! Result at last!!!!
Kimberley

Offline littlestar

• Showing Appreciation 0
I left the room and let him cry standing in his cot
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 19:39:08 pm »
Darlings, thanks for those useful advice and very promising to hear it will get better.

My Geroge is 10mons in few days. I left his room after saying good night to him and tell him to go to sleep at 6.30pm. He will check if I am still standing there, if he can't see my face, he would stand up & cry. (cos I stayed  with him till he fell asleep before for the last 3 wks, pu/pd method) Now I just find it takes too long and he expects me being there till he goes off. I had to try controll crying afterall. He would cry for 15mins inbetween I went back in @5mins. 2nd time I went back in, he went down asleep by himself. He tends to stop that moan at night the kind of yell for me. Still waking early 615am.

At least, he seems getting the message to go down and sleep. Crying is no use. Best wishes to you all. *HUGS* :wink: