Author Topic: Dream feeding - how long?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline pohare

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 04, 2005, 20:10:10 pm »
I DF Grace who is just under 14wks old. She usually sleeps from 7.30pm, I DF her around 11 and then she wakes around 4.30am for a feed. The other night for some reason or other she took a longer DF and slept til 7.45am!! My question is, how can I ensure she takes a longer Df every night so she sleeps for this length of time? Some nights she just feeds for about ten or fifteen mins and is then fast asleep....

Anyone any ideas?

Pauline & Grace

annamum

Dream feeding - how long?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 22:53:39 pm »
Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier  :cry: .

There are ways to keep them eating longer instead of falling asleep at the breast immediately. You could gently rub her skin or massage her back. As soon as you see her slowing down you can do this, but be gentle, you don't want to wake her up completely. I remember doing this to my little girl and it sometimes worked, she would nurse longer then.

Offline pohare

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 15:15:47 pm »
Thank you Monika,
I tried the cheek - stroking last night and she slept through from 11.30pm until 6.55am so we were really pleased!

annamum

Dream feeding - how long?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 15:43:36 pm »
Good for you!

Offline shellbelle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 21:31:13 pm »
Hi Pauline,
I gently stroke under my babies chin when he stops feeding or attempt to pull away slightly and that usually motivates him to start sucking again. Another tip i saw Tracy do on her tv programme was to gently stroke the palm of the baby and she began to suck again. Hope thats of some help.
shellbelle