Author Topic: Suggestions for managing a nursing strike?  (Read 1102 times)

FrasersMum

Suggestions for managing a nursing strike?
« on: September 04, 2005, 23:28:21 pm »
Hi All,

I am experiencing our first ever nursing strike - DS absolutely refuses the breast when offered.  It started last night - I got him to take 40ml from a bottle (EBM) and then switched to the breast but he didn't take much.

During the night - a very small breast feed (earlier than usual I guess because evening feed was small) but not without fussing.

This morning - again absolutely refused the breast and only took a small amount of EBM from the bottle (about 60ml/2oz).  I however was absolutely full and expressed 260ml (9oz).

I think he has a slight temperature - I haven't checked but I have noticed he's been a bit clammy.  I gave him Baby Panadol (paracetamol) last night before bed and again during the night after his feed when he was clammy and wouldn't settle.

I notice that a lot of the posts suggest not giving a bottle and perservering with offering the breast but I work full time and we need to offer EBM in a bottle during the day when I am at work. 

Any suggestions on managing this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jo

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 00:58:41 am »
Definately keep pumping at each scheduled feed if he refuses the breast, to keep up your supply. And keep offering the breast, at each feed you are with him. I've had four nursing strikes with Max now, and consistent offering was what won him back. Other suggestions I have are: nursing him when he is sleepy, either right upon waking or right before a nap, bringing him a cuddle blanket or stuffed doll to snuggle with while eating, skin to skin contact maybe a snuggle in his nursing chair.

You are absolutely right, at his age you shouldn't not feed him. My ds is 13.5 months, and can go a little while without food.

It sounds like your ds may have something viral or he's teething. Watch him for fever, which would indicate infection, possibly ears. Has he had a runny nose? If he isn't eating much betterin 24-48 hours, I would consider taking him to the doctor.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

FrasersMum

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 03:05:05 am »
You are one smart lady GraceKellysmom!!  :D

Took Fraser off to the doctor and he has tonsillitis (again  :roll: )

I guess this explains the feeding refusal.

Thanks for the tips though, I am using them to try and make sure he is getting some food until he starts to feel better.

Thanks again
Jo

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 18:07:05 pm »
:oops:  Not smart, just have two runny noses to wipe myself.  :wink:

Hope he's feeling better soon!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies