Author Topic: 8 weeks old Day Nap Problems  (Read 1249 times)

Offline kristielyn77

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 05, 2005, 00:40:59 am »
My baby is 8 weeks old and has never (except the first 2 weeks) been a napper during the day.  It takes a LOT of work to get him to go down during the day and then it's usually only for 30-45 minutes or less.  The odd day out of the week he'll decide to sleep for 3 hours in the afternoon but that's it.  He is a pretty good night sleeper, sleeping 5 straight hours, I nurse him, he goes for another 3 hours, I nurse him and he goes for another 2-3, but then that's it for the day.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get him to nap more consistently and longer?  I have tried the sling/baby bjorn, nursing him down, rocking, bouncing, etc. etc.  I can get him to fall asleep, just not stay asleep.  I heard that some newborns need much less sleep than other newborns and that the amount he is currently getting is  the amount he needs, but I'm not sure if I believe this, especially when he gets fussy at certain points of the day.  Help!!

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
8 weeks old Day Nap Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 19:42:13 pm »
This is typical for a newborn and young infant. 

Have you taken a look at the announcement "Teaching sleep to newborns and young infants"?  Here's the shortcut:

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/teaching-sleep-to-newborns-and-young-infants-vt39164.html

There's loads of information in there about teaching sleep.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004