Author Topic: my baby has been napping much shorter then usual and still  (Read 1074 times)

Offline butterfly524

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
my baby has been napping much shorter then usual and still
« on: September 05, 2005, 00:58:15 am »
starving when she wakes up.  she is only 3 wks old and i am still learning to read her cries but im pretty sure im reading correctly that she is hungry.  she will go down for a nap that only lasts one hour and wake up starving. i was thinking it might be a growth spurt but i just dont want to misread another cry and be feeding her when she isnt hungry.  what do you think?  could she possibly be hungry this quickly? 

another question...i have been having trouble getting her down for naps at times.  she is starting to self soothe and if she wakes when i lay her she will go back to sleep but when this happens she only sleeps for about ten minutes and then wakes up and cries.  this can happen 3 or 4 times before she stays down. is this ok?  is this what i have to do to teach her to be an independant sleeper or is there something else i should to. 

also,  i am trying to be consistant in the ways i put her to sleep and for the most part she does like being swaddled and it helps her to sleep longer but occasionally she fights the swaddle to no end and works herself into a frenzy.  do i just assume i know its what she needs or is there a point where i give in and unswaddle her?

thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions =)

rebecca
rebecca,
mom to juliet rose
born august 12, 2005

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
my baby has been napping much shorter then usual and still
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 19:45:45 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the board!

3 weeks old is a typical time for a growth spurt. So that could be what is happening.

Also, learning how to fall asleep is process. There are so many factors that can support it (and interfere).

I'm going to direct you to the Teaching Sleep to Newborns and Young Infants. http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/teaching-sleep-to-newborns-and-young-infants-vt39164.html

There is post in there about jolts and partial awakenings.  Also, there's many posts about how to teach sleep.

Hope this helps!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004