Author Topic: My milk is drying up :(  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Xavier and Erica's mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • learn about Xavier's Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
My milk is drying up :(
« on: September 05, 2005, 03:17:31 am »
DD is now 9 mos old and I am hoping to continue to a year (remember when I was hoping to make it through the first month LOL)  I have been having supply issues for quite a while, but have been managing them with fenugreek.  When AF comes I really dry up, no letdown or anything, but it comes back.  The past few weeks it's getting worse, AF started on Friday, but the whole week was bad.  I have tried pumping after each feed, feeding more often, pumping between feeds, large doses of fenugreek and mother's milk tea, drinking tons of fluids, getting rest, eating alot....but still very low.  I called the lactation consultant and their response was...boy sounds like you have tried everything...good job for going for 9 mos, sounds like you are done... :shock:   I"m like,hello, what...no other advice, no reglan, no anything??????
We are still dealing with no dairy and she seems to not do well with soy.  She only drinks from a straw cup, no bottles and she still gets some night feedings (due to reflux issues) 
She took 1 small cup of soy formula the other night, but has had tons and tons of poops since then, and been a generally grouchy baby since then, very gassy etc...(of course a tooth is coming also) 
We are going to RAST her at 1 year to check for any antibodies, but I may not be able to wait that long.  Rice milk is an option, but it has no fat in it.  ugh.......

I want to continue to Breast feed, she is doing so well, eating every 4 hours, taking only 5-10 min to feed.  I have ordered some blessed thistle to try.  Does anyone have any other ideas to help?  I am ok supplementing with somthing else at meals or something, but what? 
I guess I just needed to vent and see if anyone can help me... :(
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

annamum

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 04:20:43 am »
Sorry to hear that you have such problems  :cry: . Hmmm, sounds like you are really doing everything you can.

The only thing that comes to my mind is to try using Domperidone. It is an antidepresant (if I remember well) but its side effect is an increased milk supply. To obtain it, you should probably ask your physician if she could prescribe it for you.

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 05:55:57 am »
Hello,

My suggestion too, is to try Domperidone. It is a medication originally developed for gastro-intestinal problems. I had NO milk when my lo was born due to blood loss during my C section. I now exclusively breastfeed. My cousin re-established her supply after not breastfeeding for over 2 months.

I know that this is the primary medication prescribed here in B.C., Canada for increasing milk supply. If you do get it and want some more information, I have a pamphlet from B.C. Women's Hospital on using Domperidone. You can PM me for it.

Good luck!
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 12:34:53 pm »
I'm on board with both Monika and Arwyn - I'd try Domperidone.  Ask your doctor (NOT impressed with that LC!! :x ).  I think it's wonderful that you're looking for ways to keep going!  And I also know some people have had success with the combo of blessed thistle and fenugreek.  Let us know, please!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 18:36:52 pm »
I'm not sure if we can get domperidone in the US very easily. My primary care physician actually told me that some antacid meds, like Zantac, help your supply!  :shock:  When I was pg I had much lower supply and she suggested that for me. My problem with ds is that he only feeds to eat, not for comfort. So 3-5 min and he is done. That doesn't help supply issues. Is your dd like that?

With the pumping, what kind of pump are you using? Have you tried pumping for five min each side after feeding, and pumping in between feedings (so nursing or pumping every two hours) for one week? You can always get her to drink the pumped ebm at meals. You could try pumping once in the middle of the night, if she isn't nursing then. My NFP counselor told me that them feeding between 1am-4am is what stimulates your supply the most and also keeps AF away.

I am with you as far as the "what do I give dc?" because of the milk/soy thing. I pretty much do water most of the time, ebm if I have it. He likes rice milk just fine. MSPI babies usually get more solids as time goes on. Keep her stools soft with lots of veggies and fruits. I gave Max peanut butter early because I was concerned about protein intake.

I don't think you should hang up the towel at all. Even if she isn't getting huge quantities from you, the quality is there.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 22:07:51 pm »
Thanks for the support!  She feeds for food only at this point, usually 5-10 min at most.  She is finally at every 4 hours, but will eat more often at times (we were nursing to sleep by accident and had to move to 4 hours to get rid of that issue)  She is still getting feeds at night also due to reflux again.  She usually feeds at 8pm, between 12 and 3am, and then at 7 or 8 am for first feed of the day. 
I am allergic to zantac, but will try the pumping again, I have both a advent isis and a medela pump and style....I get more from the isis usually.  I know reglan can help with milk, but not sure Ill find a doc to give it to me.  AF returned at 4 mos, so that is our monthly challenge at this point.  Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming if you think of anything else. 
Hugs!
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 18:11:05 pm »
What's your diet like, and how much are you exercising?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 19:11:49 pm »
I have found that any exercise reduces my supply further,so no exercise at this point, other than the occasional walk with the kids (I am really motivated to work out right now which stinks!)
As far as diet, again, any attempt to watch it dries up milk, so I am eating a pretty good diet, taking daily vitamins and calcium since I  don't like most fruit and veggies.  Drinking water mostly, occasional caffeine free coke or a sprite, or decaf tea. 

Pumping is producing NOTHING, no let down at all, just have sore boobs at this point.
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 19:17:38 pm »
Jennifer, do you have any idea how much she's getting at a feeding?

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 20:29:04 pm »
Because I get little to nothing with the pump (usually at most 1 oz) even on a breast that is ready to feed, I have no clue how much she is getting at a feeding.  I have ordered some herbal rememdy that helps with letdown to see if that helps with pumping.  I had some breast milk in the freezer and she gladly downed those 4 oz plus another 3 oz of water for dh.
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 22:11:57 pm »
Are you near your pediatrician's office or lactation consultant?  It might be helpful to weigh her before and after feeding to see how much she's actually getting.  I can't pump as much as I used to either, though I do get a letdown, but I know dd must be getting plenty by the way she sucks and swallows.  Just a thought--might let you know where you stand.

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 03:47:07 am »
A friend of mine supplements with goat's milk formula (and makes her own).  Apparently it's closer to BM and easier to digest.  When you pump, you're pumping in the morning as well, right?  When I got out of practice pumping for a while, then started up again, I'd only get a tsp the first few times.  After a couple days, it started adjusting and I'd get more.  Try not to stress (I know, easier said than done!), it will interfere with your pumping and let down.

HTH!
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Melissa (Sydney's Mommy)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 16:07:27 pm »
Hey Jennifer, I'm right there with you.  Trenton just turned 10 months, and AF seriously interferes with my milk too.  And it generally does so for the entire week beforehand.  When I'm home, I try to get Trenton to nurse more frequently (like every 3 hours)--he has never fed for comfort, only for nurishment (seriously, at 6 weeks, he was efficient and ate for only about 6-7 minutes and then done).  He will, however, nurse more frequently when I'm having supply issues, as he is still hungry.  When I'm at work and not able to pump much, I generally top off his bottles with a little formula.  Know that's not a option for you, and wish I didn't have to, but darn that AF--never a good thing....  I also pump more frequently at work, sometimes up to 4 times on the days I'm at work.  Sore boobs--I sure understand that.... 

Wish I had more good advice.  Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.  It's hard, but I'm hoping we can both hang in there.   :D
--Melissa

Sydney, born September 2002

Trenton, born November 2004

Samuel, born November 2007

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 16:27:07 pm »
Hello ladies,

Forgive my ignorance but what is AF?
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 16:51:51 pm »
I think they mean " a friend" as in the dreaded monthly period???  Just a guess!

annamum

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 16:56:08 pm »
AF (Aunt Flow) is a period.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 16:59:28 pm »
Thanks for asking...I was also trying to figure it out!  :oops:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 17:40:55 pm »
:lol:  :lol:   Guess that's just an American expression?!   :wink:
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 18:35:24 pm »
Thanks to everyone.  I can't tell you how much the support means right now.  I am keeping track of my entire day and seeing if I can make more changes.  I'll post back more tonight after bedtime. 
Davidsmom...my pediatrician and LC are close by, but I don't think it would work since she never feeds well when we are out of the house...spirited kid had too much to look at.  I may see if I can get a babyscale to borrow here at home and check that though.  Good idea.
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04