Author Topic: 12 month nap schedule - HELP!!!  (Read 1879 times)

Offline bananasmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 05, 2005, 16:53:06 pm »
My daughter is now 1 year old but it has just been the last two or three weeks that she has been sleeping well during the night (that's when we started doing pu/pd). The first couple of days she was having incredible naps during the day (like she was catching up on tons of sleep) but then after about a week, the naps just went downhill. We were travelling and she started getting a tooth so... Suddenly she started fighting going down for any naps at all and there was even two days where she had no naps all day long  :cry: ! We are still having tons of problems getting her down but i think the main reason is the lack of schedule for her naps during the day. The main reason for this is that she seems to be different every day, switching between needing one and two naps. I think we need to schedule naps for her but i don't know how! Should it be one or two?

Please help me :oops:

Sheryl

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
12 month nap schedule - HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 20:03:27 pm »
She might be in the midst of a transition from two to one nap.

What time does she wake in the morning?

Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline bananasmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 23:06:45 pm »
Well, that's the other part of the problem. She can wake up anywhere from 5:00 to 8:00 am depending on the day. She almost always wakes around 5 to eat (she seems very hungry then, nursing well on both sides) and then sometimes goes back to sleep. She really seems to need to go back to sleep when she only has one nap but it can be really hard to get her down again (screaming for the whole time before I finally give up after 40 minutes to an hour of pd and get her up for the day). So that adds to the nap problem because on days that she gets up at 5 she definately needs two naps, but if she gets up at 8 she really only seems to need one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Just trying to get things working :wink:

Sheryl

Offline Ladybird

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • UK Chick Living in Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 11:05:05 am »
I am having the same problem. My daughter is 11 months and was going down very well for 2 scheduled naps and sleeping so much better at night because of it up until about a week ago when she started fighting sleep at the morning nap and if she did go down I just couldn't get her to have a second nap (so 10 hrs up until bed!!!!!)

So I decided it was time for just one nap but she will only sleep for an hour and I have had 2 nights of hell (up 5+ times with her)  :(

I am back to work in 3 weeks so any suggestions would be great
Autumn Mae Brooke born Oct 12 2004
Evie Louise Brooke born Sept 16 2006

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 15:28:01 pm »
Lady bird, what time is her nap? What happens at the hour mark?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001

AlexandraW

12 month old won't take second nap
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 23:06:35 pm »
My (almost) 12 month old son was doing very well with his 2 naps (1.5 hours in the AM and about 1 hr in the PM) and about 10-10.5 hours at night. Then he started walking and has refused his second nap ever since. We fight him for up to an hour and a half trying to get him to take that second nap, and he just screams or sits up and plays. Is it possible to go from needing that hour nap in the afternoon to not needing it, so quickly? I have tried more soothing and down-time before the nap - thinking he was too hyper from walking around all day, but nothing works. Help! He wakes up 6-7am and first nap is about 4-4.5 hours after he wakes.

Offline annaandtwins

• Showing Appreciation 0
11 1/5 month old twins with similar problem
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 01:25:34 am »
Hi All - let me chime in here and ask for help with a similar issue. My 11 1/2 month old twins have gone from being ok (but never great) nappers to being AWFUL nappers! They wake up arund 6:30 am and if I put them down at 10 am they'll cry for about 10 minutes, and then sleep for 20 minutes. PU/PD has never worked for them. They don't seem too tired when I put them down.  So I'm thinking that 3.5 hrs of A time may actually not be enough for them. Do you experts think that 4 hrs of A time could be reasonable, or would I just make them overtired?? I don;t think they;re ready to go to 1 nap b/c I just can;t imagine that they would be able to stay up until noon.... Any advice?

Thanks,
Anna

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 00:38:00 am »
Alexandra/ Anna-- yep.. sounds like it's time for one nap.  I would look at scheduling it after lunch. So moving lunch to around 11:30 ish, and then into bed for the nap.  Tracy has a gradual approach to moving to one nap in her new book, I would take a look at her schedule.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001

Offline annaandtwins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 01:24:54 am »
Hi Jane and thanks so much for your advice. I really thought yesterday that moving to 1 nap might be a good plan and then today.... my one boy slept until 7 am and then went down at 9:30 am and slept for 90 min.... His brother went down with him at 9:30 and never went to sleep  -I picked him up after about 30 minutes of crying... Sounds like perhaps one is ready for 1 nap and one isn't. Both took 45 minute naps in the pm. I really think I am lucky to have twins, but trying to put them on the same schedule seems to be a never ending battle. So.... really don't know what to do. Will probably try to keep two naps until both are ready for one. Any other advice would be very welcome!

Thanks a million,
Anna

AlexandraW

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 02:12:48 am »
Thanks for your advice. I am going to try to keep him at 2 naps for one more week, just to make sure it isn't his new love for walking that is making him sleepless, b/c he took only 2 40 minute naps today and then took at HOUR going to sleep tonight. I think the walking is making him so excited, he can't seem to calm down. Is that possible?

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 19:06:41 pm »
Most definately. It's probably a developmental blip. See what happens in the next two weeks, and if it continues on, then reevaluate!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001