Author Topic: Let DS CIO need help starting over!  (Read 1122 times)

Offline jekholm14

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 05, 2005, 17:04:59 pm »
:oops:  I've posted before about my DS not sleeping at night.  I tried everything and in vain and with the Doctor's advice eventually left him to CIO.  This has been going on for over 3 weeks and is not (suprise :roll: ) getting any better.  He goes to sleep on his own for naps (usually 2 of 1 1/2 each) and at night (7:30) with no problems at all.  The real issue is he awakes at 11, 1, 4, 6 and there is not real pattern to this.  He doesn't always awake at the same time every night and if I try to feed him he rarely takes a full feed.  Also if we just leave him and check on him he will cry for at least a 1/2 or even up to 2 hours.  I feel absolutely horrible that I have done this and desperately need help :!:
I know in the new book it says I have to start back at square one, but I'm kind of unsure of how to do this.  Do I pick him up right away?  Keep holding till he calm or put him back down straight away?
I don't want to leave any details out so here is our routine:

6AM bring him to bed with me and feed, we fall asleep together
8:30 up for the day and feed
10:30 1st nap (usually gets a snack so he will stay asleep longer)
12:30 feed
2:30 or 3 2nd nap (again small snack or he will wake up early)
4:30 feed
6:00 dinner (cereal)
7:00 bath, book, feed
7:30 asleep for the night (haha)

I've tried to do more of a 4 hour routine with him, but he seems to be hungry earlier.  HE is BF plus 4tbsp of cereal a day.

Someone please help :!:

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Let DS CIO need help starting over!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 13:49:48 pm »
Hello sweetie, don't panic, I'm sure this is fixable!

First of all, stop blaming yourself, it's nothing you've done 'wrong', you were following your drs advice, it just hasn't gone to plan, that's all.

Secondly, yes, I think you need to start from the beginning. Having said that, you seem to have your naptimes settled, so well done (it's more than most of us have  :P ).

You say he rarely takes a full feed at night, which leads me to believe he's not waking b/c he's hungry, he may just want comforting, or to know that someone's there for him.

I think you could try pick up/put down. Basically, this means that you stay with him when he's upset. Put him in his crib, settle him and stay near. If he starts to cry, pick him up, either sushing or telling him it's ok we're only going to sleep. AS SOON AS he's calm, settle him back down again. Stay with him, and keep doing the same thing. As he has been left to CIO, it may take a lot of times (Tracy says over 100 at a time) initially, but once he realises what's happening, this should diminish as you do it. This method may take a week or more, but should work.

BTW my lo is 5 1/2 months old, and still needs a nightfeed at 11.30pm (he is bf but gets a bottle of EBM at that time). I know he still needs it, or would be up in the night hungry, maybe you could try that?

Please let us know how you get on, or if you have any probs, let us know, and we'll try to help.

HTH
Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline jekholm14

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 18:59:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply.. Things have been going better if I dare say that!  Last night he was up only once, took a full feed and didn't wake again until 7.  I sure hope this is a new trend for us :lol: