Author Topic: won't nap anywhere except cot!  (Read 1451 times)

Offline horseymum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
won't nap anywhere except cot!
« on: September 05, 2005, 18:40:12 pm »
I have worked really hard at getting ds to nap without resorting to swing, holding etc that he literally only naps in his cot! This is great but now i would love to be able to leave him with people maybe for an afternoon or so but without making them take him for a walk to get a nap! (he will sleep in his pushchair if it is moving, usually wakes up fairly soon after it stops, i don't think it is that comfy for sleeping in) any tips for getting them to sleep in other places ( he won't even have a nap in bed with us at the weekend when we want to have a lie-in, he has to go back to his cot!) my friends baby just goes to sleep when she lays her in the bouncy chair- maybe i should have done that occassionally for naps instead of insisting on the cot

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 20:07:24 pm »
How old?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
naps
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 20:16:02 pm »
I have the same problem with ds ( 3 months old) . I have always put him in a dark room in his cot. I would love to be able to go to a friends and have him nap in his car seat but mine is the same, he needs the car to be moving or the pram, even then he will only do 20mins . It seems silly that i can only rely on him sleeping in his cot.

Kelly x
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/judeethan  PASSWORD JUDE

url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Millie2

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 20:17:51 pm »
My 5 month old is exactly the same.  I got a portacot and have put her down in that for a nap every few days and that has worked.  She has an identical one at her grandparents so when we go there I know that she'll sleep.  She won't sleep in her car seat (maybe 10 minutes if I'm lucky and she's REALLY tired), will only sleep in the pram if its moving and wakes the second it stops (literally) and will only sleep in my arms if she is really desperate (this happens very rarely when I'm out and can't get back home to put her to bed).  It can be a pain but I guess its better then the baby that won't sleep in his/her cot!!!
Mum to Katy (March 2005) and OJ (November 2006)

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 22:48:41 pm »
I have the same problem!  Driving me nuts!  DS is 9 mos old, and refuses to sleep anywhere but his crib in his room.  He sleeps like an angel al home, but screams hysterically if I put him in the pack-and-play anywhere else (like Grandma's house).  Shush-pat doesn't help...  I would love to hear any advice you get from this post!
Sheila
ng

FrasersMum

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 23:05:12 pm »
Ah me too!!

DS screams blue murder when we try and get him to sleep anywhere other than his cot (and I get soooo sick of people rolling their eyes because I won't nurse him to sleep!)

My DS even struggles in the pram and car - I have to cover them over so he has nothing to look at.  We call it "putting the bird to bed" like when you cover a birdcage.

Any tips on this would be fab!

Thanks

Offline horseymum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 07:30:49 am »
he is 4.5 months old. i think i will try to use his travel cot occasionally as we are going on holiday in october and he will need to use it then anyway

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 14:46:13 pm »
I do a fair amount of traveling with the boys, for most of the summer, we were either at home or up at the cottage.  To help Brendan with his naps up there, I kinda replicate his sleep environment so that it's similar to home.

I bring all his sleep blankets (mattress sheet, his "blankie"), I make the room as dark as possible, since his room at home is very dark, and I bring his fan (white noise).  He also has a "Gro" Bag which is kinda like a sleep sack.  Essentially he has the same textures, smells and sounds, that he would have in his home bed room.

Hope this helps!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004