Author Topic: is it ok to stop feeding in night?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline horseymum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
is it ok to stop feeding in night?
« on: September 05, 2005, 19:08:37 pm »
now ds has gone a few times from feed at 6.30/bed 7 and sleeping till 5/6 am he is back to waking at 2/3 and will still take a feed then.  the thing is i reckon he will take a feed whenever it is offered regardless of whether he is hungry or not so should i try just not feeding him if he wakes that early as i know he can get past that time?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 21:20:37 pm »
Depends.  How old is he?  Could he be having a growth spurt?  Even when babies have slept longer stretches in the past, when they're having a growth spurt, they may start waking in the night and really NEED the feed.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline horseymum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 07:32:59 am »
he is 4.5 months old and went through to 7 am this morning before he fed. he woke at 6.40 i think but sounded happy just playing! i think i will just try the water now unless he is really upset as i know he can do it!

Judy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 11:56:11 am »
Well my two girls did the same thing and are not quite 4.5 months.  They were going a good 8-9hrs (till 6/7am) then waking at 5am, then it was 3 or 4am for a few days... then it was 1am AND 4am?????  I switched them to a 4hr EASY which they took to really well for the daytime but were still waking at night.  I mean they were going 4hrs between feeds all day easily (sometimes I even had to wake them) to going only 3hrs at night??  Last night Hannah woke at 1.15am so I took her out to the living room to feed her and could hear Kaia fussing.  I kept waiting for dh to bring her out too although she wasn't fussing a whole lot.  Well she fell back to sleep  :D  Then Hannah woke again at 4.14am (yes the gal who JUST ate at 1.15am) so I decided no way.. I was not doing this anymore, it's been going on for well over a week (the 2 feedings - the 1 night feed has been going on for a few weeks).  I feel confident it's not a supply/growth spurt issue as I spent two days doing extra feeds over the weekend to increase my supply if that's what they needed and they've not been draining my breasts during the day... plus since Kaia went back to sleep I figured Hannah didn't need to be up either.

So... at 4.15am I patted and shushed and patted and rubbed - even had to pat and rub at the same time, did some pu/pd and 35 minutes later Hannah was back to sleep without a feed.  Kaia then woke slightly at 5am but a few pats and she was back to sleep till 6am.  I gave her a short feed then and they both woke at 7.30am.  SO... I'm sure tonight will be another long night but again I am determined NOT to feed them till morning!