Author Topic: bad naps are back!!!  (Read 1082 times)

Offline shem2005

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 06, 2005, 00:25:31 am »
I am so frustrated, about 5 weeks ago DD who was previously a great sleeper decided to do 45 minutes naps, this is when we found the BW books and implemented shh pat. After about a week it worked a treat and she was then having long naps during the day.

Well over the last week the 45 min naps are now back!!!!! WHY!!!

Nothing is different. She is now 13 weeks old, not sure if it is a growth spurt (but she is not waking up in the night). Her night sleep is brilliant, bed at 7pm, dreamfeed at 10pm and then wake at 7am. We did have a couple of nights where she woke at 4am but didn't really cry, just talked and whinged so we did not feed her and she wasn't overly hungry at 7am so i think it was not about food.

How do i get her back on track?

She is on 3.5 - 4 hour EASY because she is not interested in food any early but she can still only stay awake for about one hour or just over. Is her nap problem related to her awake time?? I have tried to feed her before a nap to try and get her to stay awake longer but she is not hungry so won't take it.

Sorry for the long post but i am just so frustrated that I thought we had dealt with this and now have to try and do it all again.

Offline Netspi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
bad naps are back!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:54:24 pm »
No advice shem, but my 15 week old is pretty much the same, she sleeps from 7pm-7am with one feed in the night, but will only sleep for 45mins at a time with LOTS of fussing beforehand. She simply fights sleep. She used to be great, when she was tired you could put her down and she'd sleep for at least an hour with no fussing. I don't understand what's gone wrong? Is this what a growth spurt can do?
Annette xx

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
bad naps are back!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 13:09:28 pm »
this is from the sticky at the top of the forum.  i too was suffering with the 45 min naps and here is what i found out and posted for others:

Problem:
My 13 week dd recently reverted to short naps. I was convinced there was something I was doing wrong and that if I could just find out what it was the short naps would be gone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strategy/Result:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew's Mommy (Jane) shared some info with me that has reassured me and given me the strength to face another day of trying to extend my dd's naps.

From 0-3 months babies work on organizing their night sleep. From 3-6 they work on organizing their day sleep. What is happening is biological and is a normal blip. In the meantime, I am going to try to extend her naps with wake to sleep so that she gets used to the sensation of going from one sleep cycle to the next. I am keeping her awake time at 1.5 hours and will start moving her towards the 4 hour EASY when she is 3.5 months or so.

Jane also advised that I do a pre-wind down before all naps. So if the nap is supposed to start at 8:30, around 8:00 start walking around the house or the garden. The swaying motion of walking releases a calming hormone in the baby. Walk around until 8:15 and then start your wind down. In my wind down I rock her for a bit, turn on a lullabye, take off her clothes, change her diaper, swaddle her, and then "slow dance" with her. I may tweak the wind down/pre-nap routine but it worked well this morning.

Jane did say that it could take a while for things to get sorted out in regards to her day sleep. But I just feel so much better knowing that what is happening is not my fault and it is just biology. I also feel like I won't be as frustrated with her as it is just another part of her growing up.