Author Topic: Keeps waking up!! Help!!  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Adamsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Keeps waking up!! Help!!
« on: September 06, 2005, 03:04:08 am »
I'm a FTM of a 13 week little boy who is a spirited baby.  Recently I feel like we are taking some steps back while some things are going better in the sleep department.  I'm really confused on which route to go and need some advice!  I'll try to keep this brief. 

We are swaddling, using a pacifier (which is the main reason why he wakes up), and putting him to sleep when he is awake but in the "zone".  He will usually fall asleep fine at this point but wakes up anywhere from 30min. to 45 min. in cycles when he realizes there is no more paci.  I know that we need to wean him but I feel like it is then only thing besides the swaddling that helps to calm him.  My husband has night duty because I wake at 5am for work.  We put Adam down at about 7:30pm and he wakes to feed anywhere from 12:30-2:00am, but he also wakes 3-4 other times for the paci.  My husband usually goes to put the paci in his mouth which works fine but of course we want to break this.  We've tried leaving his hands out to suck on but he hasn't figured out how to do that yet. 

He is on 3 hr EASY ( we are trying to transition to 3 1/2 hrs) and is napping pretty well during the day, about 5 1/2hrs total. 

I would really like to hear anyones advice on what I should be doing because I feel a bit lost.  I'm okay with one waking a night for a feed (or whatever he needs) but the little wakings are very tiring and I don't think that he needs them.

Offline Ade

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.kendrick.per.sg/asher
Keeps waking up!! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 15:28:54 pm »
I'm not sure I can offer much help, but we definitely went through this stage!  :D   And it sure was tiring. 

But going by your DS' age, I think it'll be no time before he starts to be able to pick up his paci and return it to his mouth, so maybe you just want to hang in there for the moment if you can?  That's what we did, just kept playing caddy to DS and his paci until he learned to pick it up himself.  And we're still having to do that now when he sometimes can't find his paci in the dark of the night.  It always turns out that he's either lying on it or it has fallen out of his cot.
Ade

Mom to Asher - 23 April 2004

Offline megbrunskill

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 21:58:03 pm »
My 12 week DD is doing the same thing...it is really exhausting...I am trying the gentle weaning of her pacifier...but I think it takes a long time...so maybe just waiting until she can find would be just as easy...
Anyway, hang in there...
I really wish my DD would find her thumb...it would make my life easier...oh well.
Let us know how things go!
Megen and Selah

Offline vickytxs

• Showing Appreciation 1
Keeps waking up!! Help!!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 02:04:41 am »
my 3 and a half month old is also doing the same thing, little wakings during the night usually starting at 1 or 2. my questions is, if he is swaddled how is he supposed to get the paci back in his mouth? when he is able to pick it up himself, should i then try leaving one arm out?? i am soooo tired!!!

Offline Adamsmum

• Showing Appreciation 2
Keeps waking up!! Help!!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 02:30:04 am »
I know Vicki, mine is also swaddled with both arms in so picking up the paci would not work at this point.  I've tried leaving one arm out and even both but he just flails them and ends up knocking the paci out all together.  Hmmmm . . . . I think that I'm just going to keep swaddling completely and just ride the whole paci thing out and see what happens.  Do you think that this is accidental parenting at it's worst or do you think another month of wait and see is okay?  Anyone else have any ideas or similar situations that they found a solution that worked?

Offline kmasaitis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 14:21:52 pm »
I am having the exact same thing happen with my 3 month old. It is exhausting! I do not feed him until about 4 am...but the constant waking is getting me sooooo tired. I keep going his room to roll him over or give him his paci and then he is up again in an hour or so. Looks like all of our babies are about the same age. Maybe it's a phase?  I hope so!!!

kelly
kelly

Offline twoblacklabs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 14:21:58 pm »
We're going through the same thing with DS right now (he's 10 weeks) so I can't offer any help, but someone did tell me something that helps once they CAN find it themselves... put like 10 paci's in their crib.  That way  they'll have to be able to reach at least one of them!

I have been thinking about trying to wean, too, because I am so tired of popping it back in his mouth.  He actually doesn't even use it at night, but for naps during the day he does, and he'll only sleep for a 1/2 hour and then wake up.  I know he COULD sleep more than that, because he'll sleep much longer than that in my arms or in his swing.

Offline vickytxs

• Showing Appreciation 1
Keeps waking up!! Help!!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 20:20:23 pm »
adamsmum, i dont think its accidental parenting, they do promote the use of a paci and swaddling in the book and it does help calm them down...but then again what do i know...i feel better after reading this now that i know im not the only one...its funny how some of the moms in my antenatal group have babies, mainly girls, who are already sleeping throught night, not much older than my Aidan, and they didnt even worry about a routine til later...here i am breaking my back and really concentrating on his naps, e.a.s.y, etc and he still wakes up!!! AAAHHH!! i just dont understand it...

im hoping its a phase, teething, etc and will wear off soon......