Author Topic: getting rid of daytime bottle  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
getting rid of daytime bottle
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:58:30 am »
Hello

my ds has turned one 2 wks ago and i want to introduce him to drinking his milk from sippy cup for the daytime. I tried this today and he refused to drink any milk. He has no problem drinking water from the sippy. I do have a couple of Q's:

1.Should i cold turkey on all daytime bottles?

2.Does the amount of milk they drink reduce? (eg he has 7oz in the morning from bottle...should he take 7oz from the sippy?)

All expericence appriecated  :D
Thanks

Offline Kori

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Please advise us!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 21:57:45 pm »
I hope that someone replies. I had the same questions. I was going to try to do the bottle/ sippy cup switch and will be starting milk this weekend and I have serious anxiety about it.

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 22:54:56 pm »
I highly recommend Nuby cups to help in the transition.  One type of them you can get are like sippy cups where the spout is shaped the same, but it's made of latex like a bottle nipple.  You can get them lots of places but I see them most at Wal-Mart.  This helped my dd greatly.  We used those for milk and regular sippies for water until I thought she was doing well enough with the regular sippies and then switched her to the regular ones for milk as well.  She never had any issues with the transition so I hope this helps!  And yes, my dd drank slightly less, but she loves her milk so it wasn't much less.  I do know that others reduced quite a bit though.  She doesn't drink near as much now as she did when she was younger (she's almost 2 now), but she used to almost finish a 9 ounce cup 3 times a day.  HTH

Offline Kori

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 23:06:12 pm »
So Stacie, did you just go cold turkey with the bottle or slowly get rid of it. My dd loves the sippy cup with water. We did start her on the Nuby ones when we first started sippy cups and those did work great for getting started.

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 08:36:40 am »
just an update  :D

i had sucess the 2nd day with the sippy cup (i am using one with a straw as thats what ds has his water from) and he took 5oz (was 7oz in bottle) and today he took 6oz

Kori....i have decided to cold turkey daytime bottles...1st day was blank refusal but we have had 2 sucessful days so far....good luck!!

Offline Kori

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 16:13:43 pm »
Samismum... that is awesome! It seems like cold turkey is the way to. Otherwise they may really find it all together anyways. That is cool that he can drink from a straw. Mine tries and sometimes almost gets it. I might buy one of those and try it. Congrats on a smooth transition. Hopefully mine is the same!

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 18:25:38 pm »
Yes, we went cold turkey cause dd was able to use the Nuby the first time she tried it and I didn't want her to prefer the bottle over the Nuby.  Worked for us!  Good luck!