Author Topic: swaddling wrapped around his head  (Read 1097 times)

Offline cliffrose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 06, 2005, 12:13:46 pm »
Last night i heard my almost 5 m.o. making strange hooting noises-- went to investigate and found he had shimmied down his bed, leaving the swaddling up around his head- i had to unwrap the swaddle to get him free- very scary. i could feel the place where he had been breathing... I stopped using the miracle blanket or any blanket for a swaddle- (i use a piece of muslin) but it still wrapped tightly- i don't know what to do - he is used to going to bed with his swaddle- sleep associations.

any advice-- i don't want to put him down tonite with the swaddling and risk this again....

thanks much,
elizabeth

Offline Ade

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.kendrick.per.sg/asher
swaddling wrapped around his head
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 15:19:14 pm »
Could it be that your LO is too active for the swaddle?  I remember that Asher used to break free of his swaddle around the 3rd month.

Perhaps you could try putting him to bed without the swaddle?  He might miss it for the first night, but if it starts to get better by the second night, then probably, you could say goodbye to the swaddle altogether.  Alternatively, you could remove the swaddling cloth after he's sound asleep.  Especially if he is already sleeping through the night (is he?), he is not likely to be fully roused when you remove the swaddle from him when he's in a deep sleep.  I may be wrong, but it's worth a try, rather than risk something scary.
Ade

Mom to Asher - 23 April 2004