Author Topic: Our 8 week old daughter - help!  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Gareth

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Our 8 week old daughter - help!
« on: September 06, 2005, 12:30:56 pm »
Hello

Last week my partner and I started a new routine. She had previously been going to bed at 11pm and would wake every 2 to 3 hours for a feed until 6am or so.

Now we cluster feed her in the early evening and put her to bed at 8pm. Two nights ago she slept from 9pm until 2 am and last night from 8.30 to 1 am. This should be a positive as it's a longer sleep stretch. The problem is that after we feed her at this time she just won't settle back down and just thrashes about in the crib.

Should I cluster feed her later in the evening and put her down at 11pm again, hoping she'll sleep for 4 to hours. My worry is that if I do this she won't have enough time to get the correct amount of sleep (according to books) by daybreak.

Or, should I stick with this new routine and just find a way to settle her after the night feed?

Thanks!!!!

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 13:48:18 pm »
Hi Gareth

You could try a Dream Feed at about 10pm/11pm. This is where you feed them without waking them up (as sucking is a reflex they will do this automatically without being away).

Is your DD breast or bottle fed?

love
Marie

Offline Gareth

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 14:47:42 pm »
Bottle fed. She's thriving physically and has gone from 7 lbs 12oz to 12lbs 6 ox in 7 1/2 weeks. Thanks for responding.

Am just concerned that I'll wake her during the dream feed as I'll need to lift her out of the crib!

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 18:12:05 pm »
Gareth

There's a knack to it - it will come with practice. Just try to lift her as slowly as possible while supporting her under her neck and bum. Make sure you have everything ready near the chair you feed her in so you're not phaffing round for things. When you give her the bottle just brush it over her lips and when she opens her mouth pop the teat in and you should be away. If she's a windy baby you can wind her gently (they usually swallow much less air on a dream feed because they're more relaxed). I didn't wind my DD after dream feeding and she was fine. When you're done just pop her back into her crib.

Let us know how you get on.

love
Marie