Author Topic: Transition from 3-4 hour EASY??  (Read 1680 times)

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Transition from 3-4 hour EASY??
« on: September 06, 2005, 14:20:30 pm »
Hello!  I have read Tracy's books and think that the way you know when to transition them is when they begin napping for only 45 minutes.  Well, my DS almost always wakes after the 45 minutes (because of sleep cycle, I guess) and often goes back to sleep if I catch him and pat him early enough.  He gets fussy just after the 3 hour mark of his feed time...How can I be sure he's ready??

Thanks!
Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 01:44:47 am »
Hi!
How old is he?  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 15:56:21 pm »
OOPS!  I forgot to include that before....he is 3.5 months!

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 18:14:34 pm »
Hello!
If you think he may be ready, I would slowly transition by 15 minutes and see how he does.  If he is fussy at the 3 hour mark, try to go to 3hr15minutes.  If he starts having a meltdown, he's probably not ready  :wink: When I was transitioning I saved the "really fun" activities for when they would start to get fussy...this would occupy her for the next 15 minutes or even more if she was happy.  Try this for a couple of days and then increase by another 15minutes and so on.  Every day will be different though....sometimes I sitll feed Zoe at 3.5 hrs.  Just make sure to watch his cues  :D

Also....is he able to put him self back to sleep or has he always woke after the 45min mark?

:D

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 19:52:13 pm »
Hi!  Thanks for your advice...I will give this a whirl and see how he does!  He gets overstimulate REALLY easily---what if he can hold off on eating but not stay up??

He hasn't always awakened at the 45 min. mark...but it's not highly unusual like it would make me suspect something....today i went in and patted him for a few minutes at the 40 min mark and he slept a full 2 hrs. and 15 mins.  Will he NOT be able to even be patted back to sleep at the 45 min mark when he's ready to transition??

Thanks for all of your advice!

:D Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 20:08:29 pm »
Hi again!
If he does get overstimulated, is he still able to go down for a nap fairly easy?  If he is, it isn't unusual to feed right before nap times when transitioning.  As long as he isn't fed to sleep and is able to put himself to sleep...everything should come around.  If he is really difficult to get down when being overstimulated I would probably hold off on the transition.  You should still be able to pat/ssh to sleep too even when transitioning - at least I don't know why it would change, but with babies you never know!!  :D  :wink:

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 02:16:38 am »
Thanks Noelle!  I appreciate all your advice!  Just in this last week he's begun going about 4 hours feed time and staying up ABOUT 2 hours...we just keep it low key to avoid over stimulation...He never has been able to put himself to sleep...I know it's a bad habit, but we rock him, as he just CANNOT seem to soothe himself.

I hope that eventually he'll learn some skills to self-soothe...

Thanks again!

Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher