Author Topic: so many nap issues, so little time!  (Read 1122 times)

Offline MISSV

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 06, 2005, 15:17:04 pm »
help!

my DD is 5 months old and for the last month her naps have gone from bad (short (45 mins) with rocking to sleep) to worse (shorter 15-30 mins screaming blue murder).

I have tried to figure out what i've done to cause this, but can only put it down to a bad week with a cold, then my mom came to stay for a week, and then me not being consistent with a routine... the thing is when i try to put her on a nap routine now, it's a disaster... she screams and won't stop - the crazy non breathing scream - i try everything i can but she won't stop and eventually i give up and bring her out into a brighter room where she'll stop crying for a minute or two and then it starts all over again. 

it's so terrible because i can see she is desperate for sleep and i can't help her.  sometimes she arches her back and fights me so much that i lay her down, but then she screams even more. 

i've tried to watch her sleep cues carefully, but some days she goes from 0 to 10 instantly and i don't know what happened... i've tried to work on putting her to sleep 2 hours after she wakes, but that can be too long for her to go sometimes.

her night sleep is fine - she goes to bed at 7.30pm and wakes up around 11 for a feed, then sleeps through till around 6 or 7.  at night she re-settles herself, why can't she do it in the daytime?

i feel like there are so many things i'm doing wrong with her i don't know where to start.  i rock her to sleep, our routine is out of whack, if she's been screaming for more than 15 mins my neighbour starts banging on the door and i end up comfort feeding her etc etc

any suggestions would be sooooo appreciated. i feel desperate and like a failure - all my friends babies napped on the couch and no one seemed to care. i just got tracey's first book and have ordered her second one today ... wish i read this 6 months ago :(

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
so many nap issues, so little time!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 22:45:46 pm »
Oh big hugs, I too wish I read Tracy's book earlier...but you are here now.

I would recommend you start w/
- download Tracy's sleep interview
-read the sticky about teaching sleep for 6+mos (the last 2 are on the top of this forum).
-jump over to the EASY forum and have a look at schedules for you LOs age.
-read Tracy's new book (when I arrives) and start w/ the chapter on EASY and teaching sleep.

Summary: you are going to need gradually move her to 4hr EASY, start teaching her to fall asleep independently (I have read that day and night sleep are different parts of the brain) and stick w/ it...it will be hard at first on both of you but it will be worth it!  I promise!!

Offline becky&rachel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
so many nap issues, so little time!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 22:54:24 pm »
Hi Missy-

I can relate to your nap problems!!! My DD NEEDS to stick to the EASY schedule in order to maintain sanity.  I too am dealing with the 45 minute nap problem.  Have you established a good wind down routine before naps.  That is my next task to conquer.  I normally have the room darkened and relaxing music on when I bring my DD up for a nap in her crib.  What I am going to start doing is rocking her for 10-15 min to wind her down before I put her awake into bed.

I know how badly the "non breathing scream" sounds.  It almost makes you cry.  I just keep rubbing my DD's back and doing the SSH/PAT.  That is the only thing I know how to do.

Hope it gets better