Author Topic: Help with sudden nap changes for 7 month old  (Read 1127 times)

Offline sycorrell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Help with sudden nap changes for 7 month old
« on: September 06, 2005, 16:38:59 pm »
My daughter has been pretty consistently taking 3 naps a day - 1.5/2 hours in the morning and afternoon and a late afternoon catnap.   A sample schedule:

6:30 am awake and BF
7:30 am breakfast
8:30 - 10 am  nap#1
10:30 am bottle
11:30 am lunch
12:30 - 2 pm nap #2
2:30 pm  bottle
4-5 pm nap #3 (This time can vary a bit)
5:30 pm  dinner
7 pm  BF and to bed

In the past few days, she has suddenly only been sleeping 1 hour in the morning.  Consequently, she is not making it until 12:30 for nap#2 - mostly, she is becoming a crying mess by 11 - 11:30 am - and is sleeping through lunch.

My only thought on what could be doing this -- I have been breastfeeding her at the beginning and the end of the day.  I feel as though my milk supply is really drying up so I cannot tell if she is waking up early from her first nap because she is hungry.  I was going to move to all formula this week and see if it helped.

Anyone have any other ideas??  Could this be a sign of teething???  Should I just go with this new pattern??  I feel as though it is a step backwards for her, toward more often but shorter naps.  And It is hard to plan anything because I do not know what she is going to do day to day.
Stacy C.
Mother of Julia, born February 9th

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Help with sudden nap changes for 7 month old
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 22:19:28 pm »
It sounds to me like she needs her A time increased and dropping that catnap.

If you want to move to 2 naps here is what I would do:

-start slowly extending her A time (15min every 3 days) until you get to something like this:

6.30 wake up
9.30 nap to 11.00

2.30 nap to 4.00
7.30-8.00 bed

That gives you A times of 3hrs, 3.5 and 3.5-4.00

On days she takes the short nap you will just have to go give her a catnap.  So some days it will be 2 naps and other 3.  I recall Megan went back and forth for a wee while. 

I would also try very hard to extend that short nap when it occurs w/ either wake to sleep or shh/pat.