Author Topic: reintroducing nap after quitting (2& half yr old!)  (Read 1654 times)

Offline oompah18

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
reintroducing nap after quitting (2& half yr old!)
« on: September 06, 2005, 18:04:21 pm »
Any ideas please, my 2 & half yr old stopped napping in day as ds2 was born. Usually he just has a lie on the sofa, not sleeping, "reading" a book, having calm music on etc, but now, he really seems to be extra tired & grumpy & needs that nap back! The naps stopped after her refused to go anywhere near a bed in the day, & screamed madly, so I sort of chickened out. However, he always sleeps on our (once a week) bus journeys!

DS2 is now 1 & I am now expecting no3! So I thought I should really try & reintroduce his nap, but not really sure how!!!! Occasionally I bring him into the bedroom at the same time as ds2 nap time, & if he is really tired he may fall asleep on the bed if I am lucky, but most times, I canīt get him even near the bedroom. As soon as he sees itīs his brotherīs nap time, he gets screaming, tantrum like &, unless I  carry him myself & virtually hold him down, he wonīt go near the bedroom.

Sorry for being a bit pathetic at the moment, but I just donīt know where to start. By the way, both boys go to bed at 6pm, easily, no tantrums, & sleep 12 hours without waking, every night usually! So I am lucky in that respect anyway!
Britmum in Finland

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 01:55:27 am »
My 2.5 yr old hates her nap too, but boy do they need it! I am kinda firm, no-nonsense with her. "It's time for your nap" "Do you want to turn on your fan or do you want me to?" "Do you want to sleep with pink bear or brown?" (usually both - lol) Nap time is not a choice. If she wants to sit in her bed and not sleep, then so be it.

Several moms of older toddlers/preschoolers have mentioned that they do quiet time for nap-resisting children. Or children who if they take a nap their night sleep is shortened. They put in a video and child has to stay on the couch or something like that.

Good luck with your number 3!!!  :D
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline oompah18

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 18:40:47 pm »
The hardest thing is that I donīt want him to wake up 1 yr old, & I really donīt want to leave him on his own in another room while I put lil one to sleep, as he is a very mischeivous, typical toddler! :roll:
I am now trying a sticker chart which has succeeded in getting him to the bedrrom with us everytime, but still no sleep, even if I try to sleep with them both too! Sigh, we keep trying, at least nights are fine!
Britmum in Finland

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 01:06:50 am »
Ugg, I hear ya on the 'waking up the little one' problem. Except my days are pretty good. They both nap at the same time and #1 knows to be quiet until I come get her. My problem is nights - #2 is 14 months and sleeping horribly (waking 4-5 times per night for no apparant reason) and he is waking her up! You just can't win!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies