Author Topic: drop to 3 bottle?  (Read 5623 times)

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
drop to 3 bottle?
« on: September 06, 2005, 18:48:25 pm »
just wondering, when do you drop to 3 bottle a day?

DS is having 4 bottles a day(7am, 11am, 4pm, 7pm) and having 3 solid meal.

i have seen most mothers dropping the 11am bottle. so just drop the 11am bottle and no milk feed until 4pm? or need to move up the 4pm feed to earlier?

and do you give snack at 11am?
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
drop to 3 bottle?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 21:13:55 pm »
So glad you posted this!  I also give ds bottles around 7, 11, 4, and 7, and am wondering when and which bottle to drop.  I have seen some drop the 11, but others drop the 4 and offer a snack in it's place.  Anxious to here what advice people have!
Sheila
ng

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 13:33:22 pm »
I'd love an answr to that question. too. Giving my lo bottles at exactly the same time, and would love to hear how and when to drop one bottle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
drop to 3 bottle?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 16:07:11 pm »
I don't know if this will work for you but... we dropped the 11 feed. So her schedule is roughly like this:

7:30 wake and 8oz bottle

8 breakfast

9:45 - 10:30 nap

11:30 lunch with sips of water

1:30 8oz bottle

2 - 3:30 nap

5:30 supper

7 bath, 8oz bottle

7:30 bed

Hope that helps... she's eating about 7-9 tblsp of cereal and 1 or 2 "cubes" of food at her solid meals plus cheerios, cheese, grated apple, etc or some kind of finger food with meals. There is the odd day we've offered a snack after her naps but so far she's not interested in them. I myself am wondering if it's time to move her bottles closer to her solids and introduce a regular "snack time."

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
drop to 3 bottle?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 16:08:31 pm »
oh and I should have put she has water from a cup with breakfast and supper as well as lunch.  :)

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline lisa82

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 16:22:57 pm »
i'm glad i'm not the only one, this seems like a common problem.
kieran is 8 1/2months old he bfds at 7 11 4 7, but lately is loosing interest in his 11am feed.

i thought about droping the 11 and 4 feed and moving to 1.30ish as well. worried this will be a bit to much for him as he's had weight probs till now.

also thought of feeding at 1.30 then moving tea time feed back a little and still trying to feed before bed.
so confused does anyone think changing from a 4 hourly plan to a 6hourly plan will have too much of an affect on his weight?. if so how do you fit a 5hour milk plan into them having solids as well?
i know i prob sound neurotic first time mother but peds can worry you so much while being no help

Offline mezzogirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 19:27:44 pm »
i was totally wondering this too. my dd is 6.5 mths old. she is extending so her schedule is as follows:

7am solids (cereal and rice) then 6-8 ounces (we make 8 but use a bit to make cereal, sometimes she drinks all bottle, but never leaves more than one ounce)

11used to be lunch, but now she goes anywhere from 11:30 to noon...so....she has another round of solids (veggies, and fruit) and a bottle 6-8 ounces....this girl can eat, she has gone thru one bottle of veggies and half a jar of fruit and all the bottle several times

4-5pm dinner extending again....solids (cereal and veggies) and 6-8 ounces bottle

7pm (if she makes it that long, with dropping late afternoon catnap she has been totally ready for bed at 6:30, goes thru a fussy period from 5 or 5:30pm til 6:15pm but jsut won't settle for nap)

she sleeps til 6:30 or 7am (unless her dear brother who is 2 wakes her up earlier).

i guess she is just extending and will drop the feed on her own.
"Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" Psalms 37: 4

Offline momofgrace

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 01:39:26 am »
Hi! This is my first time posting, but I've been following for months.  Grace is now 8 mo old and is showing little to no interest in the 11 feed (right now we're bf on a 4 1/2 hour schedule 6:30,11,3:30,7 with solids about a half hour later).  I called her ped. but she said we shouldn't drop the feed yet which is so frustrating b/c Grace is only feeding on one side for about 3 minutes at 11. But we're feeding her plenty of yogurt and cheese along with her cereal and fruit and veggies so  I don't see why it would be a problem now.  What do you think?  Thanks for any advice.
Amy

Offline Portia

• Showing Appreciation 0
dropping to 3 "milk" feeds...?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 02:12:50 am »
I'm wondering the same thing, but much later in the game (feel so naive w/ 1st baby)...DS will be 11 mos. on Monday & still bf'g 4x per day...He feeds well upon wake up, but other 3 bfs are 5m or less...

Our day today went something like Sharon's posted schedule, DS refused 11:30 bf so we skipped & had lunch @ 12:00 & bf 5m @ 1:30...Still did the 4:00 bf for only 5m, so I'm thinking it s/b dropped (consolidated w/ 1:30 bf)...

My question is, where do the "tide over" snacks come in...?
Before or after nap #1...?
Does the 1:30 bf count as a snack until it's eventually replaced w/ one...?

Trying to avoid formula & planning on gradual weaning to whole milk @ 1 year, a little worried about bm supply being affected by current eating pattern...Wonder if I should cut back on solids to improve DS's liquid intake...

Thanks for the hints already posted & any more advice that may help...!

All the best,     Portia

Offline lisa82

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 10:03:35 am »
although your little one that bit older you have the same worries as me.
will all this fussing around affect milk supply.

i too thought about cutting back on solid intake to increase milk intake but eventually thought,  guess it goes against eventual aim for them to be solid dependent. so still confused.

some days he will take the feed and others he won't. if i give in and feed after lunch seems to feed well cos hes tired but then won't have nap.
then he won't feed at 4 or 5 and leaves me full and uncomfortable.

Offline lawnseed

• Lorna, mum to Iona, angel/spirited chatterbox, Eden, spirited delight and Tobias - thinking he's another angel/spirited!!
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
drop to 3 bottle?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 11:02:13 am »
I recently had the same problem with my DD being very much less than enthusiastic about her 1100 feed. So I dropped it and she wasn't at all bothered, just increased her afternoon feed which I fit in somewhere between 2 and 3. She was taking so little at the morning feed there wasn't much point! I now give her some water and a snack in place of the feed - that's if she's awake:) I think as long as she's getting dairy and protein in her food, she'll be fine.

Offline Portia

• Showing Appreciation 0
drop to 3 bottle?
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 12:58:36 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experiences, helps put things into perspective for me  :D

Haven't been feeling uncomfortably full, but maybe due to me letting 5m bfs go for too long & he's munching i/o getting a good feed in...Am I worried about nothing, could 5m be a good feed...?

I'm going to consult w/ DS's ped, but think we'll end up having lunch/solids after nap #1 & trying for the bf an hour or so after that (but at least 1/2 hour b/4 nap #2)...I'll post back if ped brings anything new to light that may help anyone...

It's difficult to gauge between feeding/sleeping issues, been posting all over the place (DH is too)...!

Have a great day,  :D  Portia

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
drop to 3 bottle?
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 19:54:23 pm »
i have got Annabel Karmel's book (First year Planner).
she suggests for 7-12 months to offer 3 x milk feed - morning, mid afternoon, bedtime.

i supposed she suggests to drop the 11am feed. (as for 4-6 months, she suggest milk feed before lunchtime).

for 7-9 months routine, she suggest 2nd nap at 12.30-2.30pm, then milk feed at 2.30pm. but this doesn't work for me as DS' 2nd nap from 2-4pm. may be if i drop 11am feed, i should try milk feed at 4pm?? but will the gap be too long? no milk feed from 7am to 4pm???????

very confused here ...  :?
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline mezzogirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 20:18:17 pm »
This makes me wish i would have kept some 'notes' from when ds was little.  dd was a surprise...so you would think since it was so soon after ds i could remember but i cna't.

i just remember at 6.5 mths he ate at 7am 12pm, 5pm and 7pm bedtime bottle.

at 10 mths he ws on a sippy cup for day formula (these awesome ones from Walmart, actually the walmart brand, they have super soft nozzle almostl ike a nipple). Shortly after that we dropped bedtime bottle, but i can't exactly remember when.....i think it was before 1st bday....and then i would give him a snack at 9am before a.m. nap and also when he woke up from afternoon  nap.

with dd....she has sort of guided me more than me guiding her....i guess it is me being more relaxed and knowing the cues to read...

she goes 5 hours b/t feeds for her daddy...go figure.
"Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" Psalms 37: 4

Offline Portia

• Showing Appreciation 0
dropping to 3 "milk" feeds...
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 02:10:19 am »
The NP @ DS's ped office gave me some reassurance in terms of dropping the 11:00am feed (esp. since he's dropped interest in it)...Also said it wasn't necessary to back up on solids, just to make sure (as we all know) to offer calcium/protein rich foods & plenty of liquids...More reassurance can be found in WET diapers...!

I'm working on a schedule like Sharon's above post as our "goal"...

Today I didn't offer bf when DS woke from nap #1, instead gave lunch/solids @ 11:40, however he fussed to get out of highchair 1/2 way through meal & ended up bf'ing pretty well @ 12:15pm...I had originally planned to offer bf @ 1:00/1:30pm (wanted it to be late enough to tide him over until dinner, but still not right b/4 nap #2)...So I ended up offering finger food snack (cheerios, carrot, peas & melon) @ 1:15 to help tide him over so he wouldn't need to bf @ 4:00...This seemed to work, he ate dinner well & bf'd well b/4 bedtime...Since he bf'd well 3x today, I'm a little less worried about the milk supply issue...This is all so new, so I'm going to try & stick with my original plan & follow DS's cues for tweaking it...

Good luck to all, I'm going to keep watching this thread & will post any progress we make...Would love to see how it's working out for the rest of you as well...

Best,     Portia