Author Topic: trying to wean -- can i add a drop of vanilla?  (Read 4547 times)

Offline kgoulder

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
trying to wean -- can i add a drop of vanilla?
« on: September 06, 2005, 18:50:55 pm »
i've been nursing for 9 + months now and have been trying to get my dd to take a bottle from the beginning. she gagged on everything (even me) and never took a bottle. she takes a sippy cup now like her big sister - but still no bottle. she screams and bounces up and down on her tush waiting for a little mommy time.
she likes water but not formula and will only scream and push my hand away. is it unheard of to add a drop of vanilla extract to the formula to make it a little tastier? (i've heard breast milk is much sweeter than formula)...

has anyone ever tried it and what kind of results have you gotten?

thanks for any advice...k

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 19:45:20 pm »
Ick!  :roll:  I think it would taste nasty!

Will she take ebm from a sippy? I would just drop the bottle idea if she hasn't by 9 months and go straight to sippy. You could also try water or juice in a sippy, as long as she is still getting 4-5 breastfeeds per day. You can't really replace milk feeds until they are older.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline alligirl

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 20:01:21 pm »
I'm with Stacy....I would skip the bottle idea and go straight to a sippy if she can take one.  That's what I did with Stephen.  Try ebm in a sippy and if you really want her to start taking formula from it, start slowly adding it to her ebm sippies while backing away on ebm.  Maybe she can get used to it that way.
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline zayandme

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 20:16:06 pm »
Nuby brand sippy cups are great- they are soft like a bottle nipple but shaped like a sippy cup. My lo would NOT take a bottle and at 7.5 mos we went to this- also would suggest looking in the BWSOYP book of tracy's for her tips on getting a lo to take a bottle.
Sarah,Mom of Isaiah, Textbook/Touchy
Jesus said, " Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 00:53:33 am »
I agree with all of the above!  My dd went straight to the Nuby sippy cup with the soft spout.  I wouldn't try adding vanilla...it doesn't really make things sweeter and it contains alcohol...  But Alli's suggestion of gradually adding formula to EBM just might work. Good luck!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline kgoulder

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 12:07:32 pm »
I found the nuby sippy cups over a year ago for my first dd and have been using them ever since. she takes them like a dream with water - but it's just something to chew on when there is formula in it.

she's working on getting her teeth in and trying them out on me as well. my first dd was never a biter. it hurts and i'm not one to want to bf through toddlerhood - my milk supply is also dwindling at a fast pace.

are there any brands of formula that are "tastier" than others? that are also milk / lactose free?

thanks for helping! k

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 18:46:55 pm »
The "pre-digested" ones are horrible - Alimentum and Nutramigen. They stink and taste yucky. Can you do soy? Or if you could hold out another month or two would your doctor let you start soy milk or rice milk?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Jrolph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 00:02:43 am »
kgoulder,

Did you have any luck finding a way to get you lo to take formula from a cup???  My DS will take water fine but he doesn't like the taste of milk.  I need to go back to work shortly so I would like to wean him of the daytime breastfeeds.

Thanks,
Jen

annamum

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 03:23:22 am »
jrolph,

I split your other post and created a separate thread for you "Weaning off the daytime feeds". You can click here to get there: http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/weaning-off-the-daytime-feeds-vt41720.html
Hopefully you will get some responses to your questions there  :) .