Author Topic: Takes 30-45 min to get to sleep!  (Read 1067 times)

Offline becky&rachel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Takes 30-45 min to get to sleep!
« on: September 06, 2005, 22:47:34 pm »
Hi everybody,

This is my first post and am not all familiar with how it works...bear with me.  My 4.5 mo daughter Rachel is on the 4 hour EASY.  She sleeps 7:30-8pm and wakes 7am-great night sleeper.  Her daytime naps have been getting sticky in the last 2 weeks.  It takes almost 30-40 min for her to fall asleep!! I am replacing her pacifier CONSTANTLY during that time.  Her A time is 1.5 hrs before naps. 

I do not have the best wind down routine before naps, could that be the problem?  It seems that right at 1.5 hours of A time, she begins to rub her eyes.  At that point, I usually put her down in her crib with pacifier.  She proceeds to roll back and forth and lose her pacifier in the mean time.  She will SCREAM until it is put back in.  I want to let her cry it out for 10 min, but her screams just get so loud and painful sounding.  WHAT DO I DO :?:

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 23:47:36 pm »
I know it's tempting to let them cry and see if they miraculously fall asleep on their own!  But I'd caution you against that... She's been sleeping so well at night, I'd hate for her to start being uncomfortable in the crib or have issues because she was left to cry.

I'm no nap expert (quite the contrary! :? ), but from what I've seen successful with others, you might want to try putting her down a bit sooner.  Maybe waiting until she rubs her eyes is too late?  If she usually goes down around 1.5 hrs after awakening, maybe start a short routine ending just before that (book, song...).

It could also be something developmental...learning new skills like rolling, sitting up...they seem to like to practice them at nap time!  :roll:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 19:19:14 pm »
How married to the soother are you?  The reason I ask, is I think that it's interfering with her ability to fall asleep.  You mentioned that you need to replace it several times.. do you want to stop using the soother?
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline becky&rachel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:07:40 pm »
At this point her pacifier is very important, as she is teething and do not want to take it away when other things are going on.  But in general, she doesn't usually fall asleep w/o it.  up until 6 wks ago she would go in for the night without one, but now she gets too fussy.  I plan to get rid of the pacifier around one year.  Any suggestions on what works best?

P.s. her naps are getting much better.  The last few days, I have been rocking her for 10 min in her room before putting down, now it only takes about 15 min for her to doze off. 

Thanks!!!