Author Topic: Eating Less.... I'm confused. Time yet for cereal?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline hopper116

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Eating Less.... I'm confused. Time yet for cereal?
« on: September 07, 2005, 02:04:09 am »
Hello Everyone,
My ds was born May 4th, and for the past couple of weeks, he's been eating less.  He's on a 4 hour schedule, and he was eating 5 to 8 oz at every feed.  Now he's only eating 3 to 4 oz, and then his 7pm feed is usually 8 oz.  I also df, and he takes 4 to 6 oz.  I don't understand why he is eating less!  Any clue for a confused new Mommy?  Also, I'mnot sure if this has been mentioned, but how does everyone feel about staring cereal at 4 months.  Our Ped said it was okay, but we haven't started it yet.  Now sure how we feel about it yet.  Anyway, any advice on the eating less situation would sure help me feel better!
Thanks!
Stephanie
Mommy to Ian Patrick
Angel/TextbookBaby
05/04/05

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 02:27:58 am »
Hi Stephanie...
Zoe did the exact same thing.  She went from 6-8oz bottles to 4-5oz bottles.  Drove me batty!!!!  :lol:   It was hard for me not to "force" her.  She still was able to go 3.5-4hrs between feeds and still slept through the night too.  I would say though, that her last bottle did increase alot..sometimes as much as 13oz :shock:   Though typically 8-9.

As far as solids go...they recommend waiting until 6mos.  You'll have to do what you feel is right.  With John I started at 4 months....ate like a champ from the get-go.  I started with Zoe at 4 months and she still doesn't eat a whole lot, wishing I would have waited with her.  Is she showing signs of wanting to start?  If you feel like you want to try it, and  she still has the sticking her tongue out reflex, I suggest waiting and trying again the next month...

:D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 02:56:57 am »
i woudl say if she is eating LESS food she shoudl not start solids until closer to 6 mo.  olivia took (and often still does) the same amounts you mention.  she always takes a good 7pm feed unless overtired. it is like she knows that is the important one for stockign up.  the DF can vary from 3oz - 7oz (usually takes about 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 oz though) and she sleeps through.

we started dd2 on solids right before turning 6 mo and now at 6 mo and 3 weeks she is doing great on solids most of the time (took it real slow)  but if she has not taken a great bottle feed and then i give her solids later i am careful to cap it off at 2 TBS and then re-offer the bottle since she still really needs those nutrients too.

that is why i say if she takes less now be careful about the solids too early because if she starts taking a lot of solids instead of the extra milk it is not ideal at that age.  no need to rush solids and the WHO recommends 6 mo now - just a lot of doctors are not up to speed with the new reommendation (or disagree with it) and still say OK to 4 mo. 

with d1 we started at 5 mo because she was BF (could not get her to take any more than she was) and had been sleeping through and suddently was hungry in the night.  we started solids and it stopped within 2 weeks - because that was the only way to get extra calories into her.... Each kid is different.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Intransit

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 02:04:50 am »
My DS is currently eating less as well. He was up to 6-7 oz, and now 4-5 is a chore to swallow for him. I also notice his sleeping pattern is changing too--he is getting up around 12 am and 4 am--whereas he used to only get up once somewhere in between 1:30-4 am. I am trying to DF around 11 to tide him over, but he is still getting up @ 4. Also, have the slight problem of paci becoming a prop...I havent had the energy to wean him off of it yet..but am planning to very soon........I thought this may have been a growth spurt..but its not really more milk ( he is bottle fed) its just more feedings per 24 hours...equalling about the same as before all the changes...HELP
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 06:40:33 am »
sjeb - when olivia had her recent GS it started as more frequent feedings not increase per bottle. so maybve your lo is in a GS.  JMO
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Joey'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 19:08:04 pm »
Joey started cereal at 2 months.  Because of the reflux, he couldn't hold down the milk, and the cereal helped with that.  At first, he didn't quite understand swallowing either, but I'd give him his bink (Pacifier) to help him learn.  It only took a day, and now when he sees the spoon he opens wide and smiles. 

My ped. was surprised that he enjoyed cereal so much, but I was looking through my own baby book and our moms started us much earlier back then.  I was on cereal at one week, and in her family (Sicilian), they were on pasta after 2!

My point is that you know your baby best.  Joey started eating less too, and now if that happens, we give him some cereal and top him off with a regular feed.  It makes him happy and keeps him growing.
Mary Pat

Offline hopper116

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 14:06:55 pm »
We took our ds to the ped for his 4 months shots on Friday, and he saw a new PA working in the office rather than his usual Ped.  Anyway, the PA said NOT to start our ds on cereal until 6 months, but 5 1/2 months at the very earliest.  I guess for now, we'll drop the idea.  I still just don't understand why his feeding amounts have decreased.  He's now averaging about 24 oz a day whereas before ds was eating between 26 to 31 oz.  DS PA didn't seemed concerned at all.  He weighs 14.8 pounds, so as long as he's a healthy weight and no health problems to report, they don't seem too worried.  I guess it's just me!
Thanks for the advice!!!
Stephanie
Mommy to Ian Patrick
05/04/05
Angel/Textbook