Author Topic: how young for environmental allergies  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Williamsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how young for environmental allergies
« on: September 07, 2005, 03:51:09 am »
My son tested positive for allergies to milk, eggs, and peanuts today.  He's only 7 months old & was skin-prick tested.  I'd asked the doctor about environmental testing because on occasion the skin around one eye becomes red & his other eye cries when we are outside.  The allergist said it would be extremely unusual for any child under two to be allergic to anything environmental b/c they have to be exposed to it for a long time before they develop the allergy.  He said, and I quote, "if he
does have environmental allergies, we'll have to write him up in a medical journal."  This didn't make sense to me & I'm wondering what others' experiences have been. 

Also, he's BF, so I am now avoiding any foods with these ingredients.  I'm good on the eggs & peanuts, but what key words should I look out for for milk?

Thanks for any advice.

Sarah

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 14:16:36 pm »
Hi Sarah, there is a great thread on the top of the allergy board about MSPI. It lists foods you can and cannot eat. You may wanna check that out. Dd is allergic to Dairy and Soy and I am bf as well. It's tough to alter your diet and constantly read labels but you'll find its easier when you know it's for your lo's sake.

Ds is allergic to peanuts and was skin tested before he was one year old. Just this last April he was tested for 13 new outside allergens and was diagnosed with having a tree allergy as well. Our allergist also stated that it's mostly two or older who are treated for outside allergens. But if you feel strongly it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. :wink:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Williamsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 18:31:33 pm »
Thanks so much for reminding me.  I didn't visit this sticky as he's allergic, not intolerant & has no problem with soy.  I didn't realize how much info was there!  Lots of things are out, more than I realized.  I'm going to wait & see how much clears up in the next few weeks & if I still feel that he's having environmental problems, I'll go back to the allergist.  Thanks for the info.  It's just doesn't make sense to me that things they are exposed to every day would take 2 years to cause a reaction.  I get the annually blooming things because they would be exposed one year & then not again until the next, so two makes sense, but not for the things that are around all the time.  We live in Washington state & lots of things are around ALL the time!

Sarah

Offline kristyk_19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:46:30 pm »
Hi There,

I know they all say that, but my DD had allergies at 1 year and had to take allergy medicine.  My DS now has a clogged nose and I swear he has allergies and is only 4 months old.  If they can get food allergies in utero, why not enviornmental ones?  I've heard babies under 5 months should not have allergies but never heard it stretched to 2 years.

Also a note,  my DD had eczema and whenever someone mowed their lawn it irritated her skin and made a rash.  Dr said it wasn't an allergic reaction, just eczema. 

Some Dr's believe eczema is a type of allergic reaction (makes sense to me).  Try testing it out... go outside when someone is mowing lawn and some other time when no one has done it that day.  See what happens.  Grass is a common irritant.  Good luck, I hope he can go out without a problem soon.
Thanks,

Kristy K
Mom to a 2 1/2 year old I can't get to sleep

Offline Amsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: how young for environmental allergies
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 20:48:13 pm »
Hi Sarah,

Amber was just tested and she turned 4 November 1st. She came up with a dustmite allergy. Im also very curious as to why this was never mentioned to me over the years and I actually had to be the one to push for allergy testing once she turned 4 because she just stayed with a constant cold it seemed.

I do believe to a degree what happens is that they have to have like an overflow of the envioronmental factor. There body just cant handle any more of it. And I think what he is saying is that your little one is just too young to make a definitiive diagnoses. Hope this helps to some degree. On for us to food testing.
Mommy to Sweet Amber