Author Topic: When to move to their own room  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Pendle Girl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When to move to their own room
« on: September 07, 2005, 12:05:13 pm »
My dd is now 7 weeks old and has a really good night time sleep pattern (except for her growth spurt couple of days).  I'd heard that it's best to move them to their own room before their 2 months old so they get used it it early.  Any views on what you guys have done and when.

She's still in her moses basket so if I moved her (her room ajoins ours) I'd leave her in that first of all before moving into her crib.

I've got a motion and sound monitor so would still be able to check on what she's doing during the night.

Thanks for your views.

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
b
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:25:19 pm »
I put ds into his big cot in his own room at 3 weeks old. I made the mistake with my first son of keeping him with us until he was about seven months old...big mistake...he didnt sleep until he was 4 years old. :(

If he is sleeping well then i would go for it, you  may not sleep for the first few nights as you will will be listening for him but you will get used to it.

Its the best thing i ever did, he now goes to sleep in his cot in the dark and i just hope this contiunues, i honestly beleive this is beacuse i put him in the big cot for naps from day one.

Kelly xx
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/judeethan  PASSWORD JUDE

url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Ade

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.kendrick.per.sg/asher
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 14:16:58 pm »
I'd say as soon as you can bear to let her be away from you at bedtime.  The sooner the better, I would think.  Before she knows how to protest!  :P

DS has been in his own room from day 1, and goes to sleep on his own, thank God.  Only problem is, he is not able to sleep with anyone else in his room!  I think it might be because he's used to being alone at bedtime.

Hope you have a smooth and easy time transiting your baby girl to her own room.  :D
Ade

Mom to Asher - 23 April 2004

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 17:23:23 pm »
Hi there - we moved Mads into her own room at about 3 months when she outgrew the moses basket - prior to this I had started to put her into her cot in her room for all naps so that she was used to it anyway. We actually found that she slept much much better once she was in her own room, I think my hubbys occasional snoring and moving around at night actually used to disturb her!!

Good luck
Dee
x

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 22:05:03 pm »
dd was 3 weeks when we moved her; ds was 2 weeks. 

personally, i thought it was great, and both kids seemed to settle much better in their own bed & room.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Pendle Girl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thank
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 09:43:32 am »
Thanks for all your advice.  dd is now sleeping well and goes to sleep independantly and can sooth herself if she wakes in the night and isn't hungry - took more willpower than I thought I had to ignore her murmurings in the night!!

I think we'll give it a go this weekend when dh doesn't have to suffer too much from lack of sleep - I'm sure it'll be me that disturbs him more with my "are you sure she's OK?" more than dd!!

Thanks again.   :)