Author Topic: Help - got in a pickle and don't know what to do next ....  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Lindy Loo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
Help - got in a pickle and don't know what to do next ....
« on: September 07, 2005, 13:28:11 pm »
Hi there

I'm a single mum to my touchy/spirited son who is approaching 11 weeks and I am having lots of sleep issues with him.  :roll:
He didn't sleep at all during the day (not even a cat nap) for the first 6 weeks or so due to severe colic.
Because he was in so much pain I got into the habit of cuddling him to sleep using pat-shush and have been doing that for naps now too.  He grew out of colic around 8 week growth spurt and now has 30 -45 minute cat-naps every hour or so but again in my arms. If I try and put him down he wakes up and becomes very difficult to re-settle.  He then goes into over-tired meltdown.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get him to have proper sleeps in the morning and afternoon.  As this isn't working and he's missing his cat naps too he is rediculously overtired and it's now affecting his nights sleep too.

What I need is to (1) get him to learn how to fall asleep on his own and (2) learn how to have proper naps.  I try swaddling but he is almost aggressive, throwing himself around in my arms ... is this just over-tiredness?  (He is starting to show signs of teething now too which is probably not helping)

Should I be tackling both issues together or should I try one at a time (in which case which should I start first?) Also, how should I structure his day sleeps to get him out of the habit of frequent cat-naps without him having meltdown in the meantime?

Please Help :0)
Linda

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Help - got in a pickle and don't know what to do next ....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 13:39:23 pm »
Hi Linda

You should check out the PU/PD sticky at the top of this forum, and read Tracy's sleep interview (also a sticky on this forum). That would give you a good place to start. I'm sure the other ladies will have some more specific advice too.

love
Marie