Author Topic: Wind/gas pain and weird sleeping patterns  (Read 1188 times)

Offline grimoinr

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Wind/gas pain and weird sleeping patterns
« on: September 07, 2005, 14:58:43 pm »
Hi,
I'm a new mum, Lucas is nearly 3 weeks old and starting to have wind/gas pain... he is moaning a lot while in his sleep and usually wakes up due to the pain.
Not sure what to do... I make sure he burps after each feed... but doesn't seem to help.
I guess I need to change my diet ?!!! Any suggestions ?

As for the sleeping pattern, the first two weeks were great... his last feed was at around midnight and would wake up at around 4am for a feed and then 7am for another... but now, seems to want feeding every 2 hours... sometime less !!! Please help.

Thanks
RG

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Wind/gas pain and weird sleeping patterns
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 19:08:28 pm »
Poor little guy!  Gas is no fun. :( Keep up with the burping and do some tummy massage and bicycle his legs to get that air out.  You could try cuttig out dairy or some of the other common culprits - every baby is different, so you'd have to see if it helps or not.

Gas can also be caused by a very forceful let down reflex, because the milk comes out so fast that the baby ends up gulping a lot of air. Have you noticed that he sputters at all on the breast or gags when your let down starts?  Thrush can also sometimes cause gas - how are your nipples feeling?  Any pain?

As for the frequent wakings, it could be a growth spurt (they seem to happen constantly when they're young!).  If so, it should taper off in a couple of days.  It could also be that the discomfort from the gas is waking him and he's just sucking for comfort, not really for food - does he take a full feed at these times?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha