Author Topic: sleep routine chaos. please help!  (Read 1679 times)

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
sleep routine chaos. please help!
« on: September 07, 2005, 14:59:21 pm »
My LO is 7 weeks today we can't seem to establish a regular sleepng routine.

We are on the 3 hour easy routine I feed him every 3 hours except when he insists I feed him 2.5. He goes down well for naps (usually) with a dummy and sleeps for about 45 min. He sometimes wakes because he has dropped his dummy , I offer it to him, if he takes it he will usually go back to sleep if not I will take him out of his cot and do some activity untill it gets closer to feeding time.

Lately in the afternoon he has been taking unusually long naps, and no matter what I do I can't seem to wake him (any suggestions welcome). He sometimes does wake briefly for a bottle but goes straight back to sleep sometimes sleeping in total for 3.5 hours! I then find it difficult to cluster feed him, he does not seem interested in his 8 o'clock feed prefering to eat at 9. I dream feed at  11.30. He then wakes at 2 and 5/5.30. He then naps till 6/6.30 ish and  our day is off to a bad start. Please help I don't know why this is happening or how to change it. He used to wake at 3 and 7 whats gone wrong ?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 01:57:38 am »
He may be going through his growth spurt by the earlier night wakings. Have you increased his ounces per bottle during the day? It almost sounds like he has his days and nights mixed up. You may need to keep him awake more in the afternoon so he sleeps better at night. I wouldn't let him sleep more than 2 hrs nap. Also, sometimes babies need to eat every 2.5 and sometimes every 3 and sometimes every 3.5. The nice thing is that you are doing EASY so it's easy to know what he needs!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:33:21 am »
Funny enough he has been finnishing his bottle completly today and last night. I have already increased the size of his bottle by 1 ounce. Do you have any tips on waking a sleeping baby? I Thought that he might be starting his night time sleeping too early but I don't know how to set his body clock back a bit like I said it's impossible to wake him once he goes into a deep sleep.

Thanks for the reply.

Last night was twice as bad he woke at 4am constipated and pushing and crying he didn't settle untill 6. Im realy confused how I can help him. The ped said not to change his milk, give it time. But evey day he struggles for about 2/3 hours trying to do his bit. Im giving him aptimil comfort formula. It seems so unfair that he should have to struggle on a daily basis like this. :?

Offline Travis' Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 21:29:02 pm »
Try unswaddling him, picking him up and massaging his hands. Sitting him upright in an area with lots of activity will usually wake him.  You don't want him to get his days and nights mixed up.
As for the constipation - I didn't know babies could get this way on milk only diets.  If your doctor said to wait but your "instincts" say to switch formula, then switch.  I am using Similac with the Omega 3 and 6 and it works wonderfully well with no bowel troubles.
Keep writing if it doesn't get better soon.  I agree with GraceKelly's Mom's words of advice as well!
Sheri - Mom to an angel baby

[url=http://lilypie.com]Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80<

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 07:36:40 am »
Thanks for the feed back sometimes all you need is a push in the right direction. Your right my instincts are telling me to change milks, and to hear that your child has no bowel problems just confirms eveything my LO has been suffering for 2 weeks now since I completely stopped breast feeding and it doesn't seem to be settling down. So how do I go about changing milks is it just a case of buying a new type and giving it to him? If any body Knows could they let me know as I am on the last can today and it is an ideal time to change rather than buy more of the same.

As far as swaddling goes I did try it (I have one of those blankets) but it's really hot over here (30.C) and my LO really hates aircondioners. When we first brought him home we used the AC at night but he used to cry with pains so we found its better not using it. Even when I go to a shop or restaraunt with AC's I have to cover him really well and even still sometimes after a while he will cry because he has wind. It then takes time for him to get it out of his system. So you see if I was to swaddle him he would over heat without an AC on.

Thanks for the tips on waking will give it ago, fingers crossed :lol:

Offline Travis' Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 17:35:00 pm »
Hi there,
I thought I'd touch base with you again. Did I mention that I am also a Travis' Mom!!! Great name.
As I mentioned, I used Similac for formula. I have heard that the Nestle one works well too as well as Enfalac. Yes, just switch over after you finish the last can. I get the liquid form that you have to mix with water. Makes more and then is cheaper in the long run.
I don't think the a/c is really the problem. I think once you get the bowel situation figured out and get him sleeping on a routine, it will be fine with it on.
If you have to leave it off just keep him in a diaper only and swaddle him from the armpits down and keep one or both arms out of the swaddle.The swaddling really does comfort them and make them feel secure. Remember the place they came from.....

[url=http://lilypie.com]Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80<

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 08:50:15 am »
Hi Travis mom, yes cool name 8) ! how old is your bundle of joy!

Just last night I was saying to my DH that I think he doesn't feel comfortable in rooms with AC because of his gas problem. It's a good idea about taking off his vest to swaddle but I don't fancy dressing and undressing him every nap time, it's enough of a struggle at bath time. But thanks for the advice its always gratefully received.

Yesterday was awfull he was so exhasted, every time he tried to go to sleep he would wake, upset and when i would pick him up and pat him he would pass wind and slowly drift back to sleep. by the evening he didn't even have the energy to cry properly. He finally slept at 9.30 and woke at 2.30. He had a bottle and woke again at 6 this time with a lot of pushing. So far he hasn't done his bit. I do hope he does otherwise i'm sure we'll be in for another awfull day. :shock:

I've been reading in the colic/gas section some other women who's babies are having the same poroblems but as far as I can see no solutions yet  :(

Well I can't wait for tomorrow morning, we have a ped app. Hopefully he will have some answers. If not I think I'll try gripe water. It's frustrating seeing him like this he's such an angel when he's feeling good.

Offline Travis' Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 16:41:02 pm »
My bundle is 7 months tomorrow!
I used some gas drops called "Gas Relief Drops" by Gerber and they worked wonderfully well!  I think you live in Ontario so you can buy them at Walmart and possibly London Drugs. 
You may want to try some remedies for consitpation to see if this gives some relief.  Some vaseline at the end of a Q-tip and insert about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  Also, another solution is some soap shaved off of a Dove or Ivory bar and insert like a suppository.  Worked instantly according to other Moms!  I give my LO prunes but of course, you are not there yet.  When you do and if you still have the problem, this is a great solution and prevention of constipation!  :wink:
Do you try the bicycle movement to help with the gas?  Or lying your LO across your knees on his tummy? 
Hope your doctors visit was a success!  Let me know!

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 17:57:12 pm »
Hi again thanks again for advice, have tried th q-tip thing before doc says should only do it when I realy have to ie not every day. The thing is he does manage to go it's just it takes hours of pushing and squirming etc. it spoils his sleep even his appetite untill he's done it. Anyway we'll just have to see.

By the way I'm in Malta (a small island near Italy in europe). 

If I get no joy tomorrow with the doc I will have to take matters into my own hands and see if any of the other remedies sugested can help. 

Will let you know how it goes :) .