Author Topic: Opinions on Omneo Comfort formula by Cow and Gate?  (Read 7410 times)

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Opinions on Omneo Comfort formula by Cow and Gate?
« on: September 07, 2005, 16:27:33 pm »
Hi all - I'm new here after becoming addicted to my baby whisperer book as I introduce my ds to the EASY routine. Its great to have somewhere where we can all share experiences and help each other out during this weird time we're all facing!  :D

I was wondering if any of you have an experience and opinions about Omneo Comfort formula from Cow and Gate. My little one was on Milupa Aptimil for the first 6 weeks but he's been suffering really badly with colic like griping and horrific wind.   :oops:  I read the box on the Omneo Comfort and it said it was made for gentle digestion and leads to having a settled baby so I decided to give it a go.

He's been on it since Sunday and since then he has gone from 2 hourly feeds to 3 hourly feeds - I think as its a thicker feed but could just be a coincidence. His stools have become greenish and ironcally his wind has become no better - he's passing wind all the time at the moment and straining away all the time to pass it. Its terrible to watch his straining away especially at night where its preventing him from going back to sleep again after a feed keeping me up most of the night trying to comfort him.

I believe that when you change a formula the baby can be unsettled like this for a while.. is what Im experiencing normal and he'll settle to the new milk or have a I made a big mistake which is making things worse for him??

Helen
and William xx

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 13:43:10 pm »
Hi Helen

I haven't tried that formula but my DD was fed on Cow and Gate premium and we didn't have any problems with it. You're right about the change over of formula - it can throw them off a bit in the first week or two.

With regards the wind, have you tried using Infacol before his bottles...... I will help with getting wind up after feeding so it should hopefully come out of the top rather than the bottom :) Also baby massage can be really helpful for windy babies.

HTH

love
Marie

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 19:43:39 pm »
Hiya Marie

Yes I use infacol - magic stuff isnt it. I think that William's problem is that his formula is creating the wind as he digests it - causing the gas to build up. The Omneo comfort seems to be settling in as today he has been far less windy - he's doing lots and lots of you know what in his nappy once a day and he's bright and alert during activity times and is sleeping well - during the day that is as at night he's a monster and resists sleep at all costs.
I'm hoping Ive done the right thing!
Thanks for your reply!

Helen xx

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 20:17:50 pm »
from what i have heard omneo comfort can only be given for a short time as it's bad for teeth.also can cause constipation.we thought ds had colic as he was doing as you're lo is constantly straining and night time was very difficult but we could never get the wind up.turned out he had silent reflux.have you tried colief drops in milk.they are expensive but if they work you can then get them on prescription.we battled on till ds was 9mths with what we were told was colic but after insisting on a paed visit and checking out reflux symptoms we found out it wasn't colic at all.he suffered great pain for a long time poor thing.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 14:40:50 pm »
Hi Ryan's mum,
Thanks for your reply.

I too had heard that using Omneo Comfort was best kept as a temporary measure till the baby was 3 months old as by then most of them "grow out of" the colicy symptoms they have. When William is 3 or 4 months old I plan going back to using aptimil as he was doing really well on it apart from the wind it seemed to produce in his tum - partly as I have a huge supply of it and its expensive and also you can get it in cartons which are great for days out and night feeds etc.
I've ordered some colief which Im going to have a go with... poor baby I keep trying these things to help him.. hope they do help and not just irritate him.
Otherwise he seems to love the Omneo comfort and feeds really well from it and is relaxed for all of his feeds which I give him from Dr Browns/B-free bottles. Its pretty thick stuff and is best made just before its needed as it tends to go a bit too thick and the starch in it settles at the bottom of the bottle if its left standing or in the fridge.
I'd not heard of it being bad for teeth though - I guess its ok since Will is so young and teeth arent coming just yet and hopefully wont be for a little while yet!

Thanks for your input - all advice is gratefully received!

Helen xx

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 09:01:53 am »
Hi Helen, I know exactly what your going through did you see my post 'Tabbo subject.....'  I'm at my wits end, I really hope we find a solution soon. Unlike you I don't have the guts to make a decision and do things for myself, I keep on bugging the ped but to no avail. He seems so calm about the situation it's been going on for more than 2 weeks  :shock: I'm so exhasted and sad seeing my LO so uncomfortable it's so unfair he should'nt have to suffer for such a simple thing, why is there no answer  :x I'll keep reading to see how you get on and on monday we have an appointment with the ped. Fingers crossed I hope he'll have some answers :D If not I don't know what we'll do we can't go on like this  :cry:

keep me posted, bye for now, Natalie

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 13:08:16 pm »
Hiya

In one way its sad to read of a little one suffering like William is but on the other its reassuring that what I'm experiencing isnt all that abnormal.

The omneo comfort milk, which he has now been on for a week, has made him a lot more comfortable wind wise - theres far less grunting and drawing his legs up to his chest, but he's still farting away but more easily it seems as he doesnt get so agitated. He's now firmly on 3 hourly feeds which is nice.

BUT, and why must there always be a but... it seems that he's become constipated and keeps trying hard to go for a poo but isnt having much luck. Ive been having to persuade him to take lots of cooled boiled water and have added a dab of orange juice on advice of my midwife. I'm waiting to see whether it works...

I'm sure I'll get there and have him settled and comfortable just as he turns 4 months when they are supposed to get over problems like he has been experiencing.

I hope your visit to the ped is fruitful and if you learn anything from it please share - it could help. My health visitor was full of "oh well he will grow out of it" and I as you can tell wasnt going to sit idly by and say to a crying baby that he'll grow out of it soon so never mind. Hmmmm. I'm hoping what Im doing is right and I'm not messing him about too much.

Keep in touch

Helen xx

Offline suca

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • ~Suz~
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 13:25:08 pm »
I tried omneo comfort when I was having problems with feeding my DS.  It did seem to work for about a week then he was back to refusing bottle etc.

Anyway what I did notice was that bowel movements were horrific! and when he passed wind - I think the whole of the country was aware..an awful smell  :shock:

We ended up going back to our normal formula once we esablished OC was not making much difference

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 14:14:02 pm »
Oh you are so right - he smells like a rotten egg when he passes wind. And his poo is green when he can do it.. it does warn of this on the box of formula and says its perfectly normal as he settles on the milk though.
Ive put on a different post that ideally Id like to use a mixture of formulas - omneo at night so its gentle as he sleeps and aptamil during the day as on this he never got constipated... just dont know if its a wise or safe thing to do.
I've decided to bear with the omneo for at least 3 weeks - thats 2 more weeks, to assess whether it will make a difference to him. If not I'm going to go back to aptamil and see what hes like now hes getting older.

H xx

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 11:47:49 am »
Hi Helen we just got back from the ped, to be honest when I told him what had been going on  he didn't seem that botherd he said most babies go through these problems and just to give him time it will settle itself as long as his stools are loose and he manages to go alone I shouldn't be worried. He said that my LO seemed like a very happy little boy, I told him thats my point he is very happy and relaxed usually except when he has wind or needs to do his bit!! Which is why I want to sort it and I didn't want to egnore it! Any way he started to examine him and when he got to his bottom Travis really started to cry. The doc then said this is unusual and he probably has a haemorrhoid (I think) and he gave me some cream to use for 2 weeks. He said maybe it hurts when he goes so he tries to put it off. Pesonally I don't think this is the case as travis seems to do everything he can to get it out (he wont eat or sleep untill its done).
But I do think all this pushing has caused it! :roll:

When I went to the pharmacy to get the cream I asked her if she had anything effective for gas and she recomended Dentinox I usually use infacol, but i'm gonna give this a try (I checked the ingredients they are not the same). She told me with the symptoms he has I should try changing the milk. I said thats what I thought but doc says there is no point they are all the same she recomended trying Bebelac extra care. and said lots of people found this good when they had had these symptoms. Any way very confused as who is right doc or pharmasist :?:  :?:

Even my DH thinks it's just a phase and I should let him grow out of it. But why don't all babies have this problem then :?:  and don't I owe it to my LO to be his voice and find a solution?

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 11:48:15 am »
Hi Helen we just got back from the ped, to be honest when I told him what had been going on  he didn't seem that botherd he said most babies go through these problems and just to give him time it will settle itself as long as his stools are loose and he manages to go alone I shouldn't be worried. He said that my LO seemed like a very happy little boy, I told him thats my point he is very happy and relaxed usually except when he has wind or needs to do his bit!! Which is why I want to sort it and I didn't want to egnore it! Any way he started to examine him and when he got to his bottom Travis really started to cry. The doc then said this is unusual and he probably has a haemorrhoid (I think) and he gave me some cream to use for 2 weeks. He said maybe it hurts when he goes so he tries to put it off. Pesonally I don't think this is the case as travis seems to do everything he can to get it out (he wont eat or sleep untill its done).
But I do think all this pushing has caused it! :roll:

When I went to the pharmacy to get the cream I asked her if she had anything effective for gas and she recomended Dentinox I usually use infacol, but i'm gonna give this a try (I checked the ingredients they are not the same). She told me with the symptoms he has I should try changing the milk. I said thats what I thought but doc says there is no point they are all the same she recomended trying Bebelac extra care. and said lots of people found this good when they had had these symptoms. Any way very confused as who is right doc or pharmasist :?:  :?:

Even my DH thinks it's just a phase and I should let him grow out of it. But why don't all babies have this problem then :?:  and don't I owe it to my LO to be his voice and find a solution?

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 19:57:16 pm »
Hi Helen, I don't know if you read my last post but today went for a second opinion and I feel alot better. The doc says my LO has alot of gas and no problems with his bottom. :)  He recomended I change his milk to a lactose free milk (Bebelac FC) as this aptimal can cause gas at this young age in some babies. He told me to change slowly day by day substituting one scoop of the new formula day by day until I am using all scoops of the new formula. He told me to continue using infocol before feeds and to give him 5ml of gripe water once a day.  He also told me if I see my LO struggling to do poo I should use bebegel but to give him a chance first. I have started with the milk and tried the gel and gripe water I feel this is the solution my DS seems quite comfortable did his bit and is sleepng well. I hope this is some help to you and anyone else who is changing formulas or who's LO is suffering with gas. :D

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 20:05:31 pm »
My DD has been on Omneo Comfort for over a year and it has worked wonders the green poo only lasts for about a month and so does the excessive passing of wind
Its a thicker formula and really seemed to fill her up and helped me to get her into a four hourly routine
but thats just my opinion
Karen

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 00:51:29 am »
Hi Natalie

I'm sorry I didnt reply straight away - Ive been at my moms for a couple of days with my hubby and William. Firstly Im so sorry your ped was a complete waste of space and Im glad you persisted and got another opinion. How on earth someone can conclude a baby has a haemorroid just because it cries when someone looks at his bum is beyond me...
I recommend changing the formula from what Ive been experiencing. William is now pooing normally - its even gone yellow again after just a week on Omneo Comfort. He's still passing a lot of wind but its passing comfortably and he's not having to strain. He seems a lot brighter and more alert this week now he's comfier and he's certainly a happier and more peaceful little boy. I also think that continuing with Infacol is good as William loves the stuff and it really works to bring wind up easily after a feed. For some reason William doesnt seem to respond well to gripe water so I'm resisting it at the moment.

I agree with Karen too - using the thicker formula has really helped William to start to settle on a longer feeding cycle. He's now firmly going 3 hours between feeds sometimes longer.

My health visitor is coming tomorrow - she told me not to change the formula as he would soon grow out of the wind etc... but Im so glad I ignored her this time as Ive got a much more comfortable little boy and I feel happier that I have done something to help him to feel better.

Keep in touch Natalie and I'd still be interested to hear from others with similar experiences.

Helen xxx