Author Topic: One breast or two, and how long??  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
One breast or two, and how long??
« on: September 07, 2005, 17:33:26 pm »
Just a general inquiry.  I know that as babies get older they become more efficient eaters.  My DS is down to 5 minutes per side for feeds.  Also, when I first had him the nurse in the hospital said to make sure that I only feed one breast per feeding.  Well ... at the 4 month growth spurt I started both breasts to increase milk supply and we are still at it (He is 5 months old now)!!!
  So, just wondering what everyone else's feeding regime is?  One breast or two and for how long do they eat??!
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 19:11:17 pm »
Mine feeds on both sides almost always - at least I always offer and she usually takes from both.  I started both sides at the beginning, then switched to single side feeding when she had too green poo :roll: , then back to both around 3 months.  Her entire feeding time is almost always less than 10 min (often about 3 min per side).
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 21:07:42 pm »
Almost always both sides here too and usually under ten minutes all together (unless she's super distracted, which these days seems to be always  :roll: )

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 17:18:21 pm »
Both sides, except for dreamfeed. She takes anywhere from 7 -20 min. total to nurse.

She only used to nurse on one side though and then one day I decided to offer the second and she took it. Been doing it ever since.

Erin M -- know what you mean... I am constantly being left to "flap in the wind" as she takes in something interesting.
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 17:23:26 pm »
My girl also takes both sides almost always.  I just wait till she comes off the breast herself, and then offer the other.  She almost always takes it, especially for the morning and night feeds.  She might skip it for the mid-day feeds (which we're about to phase out).
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline amheusser

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 18:41:11 pm »
Does anyone else's lo try to turn themselves to the other side?  For a couple months now I've known the difference between when she pulls off from distraction or is ready to switch, because she twists herself around, trying to get there on her own.  :roll:

On the original question, both my dds were double-siders, and got steadily more efficient as they grew.  Now R takes around 10-15 min total for a feeding.
Aubrey
-------------------------------