Author Topic: ?how to increase supply  (Read 954 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 07, 2005, 19:29:27 pm »
Initially had oversupply issues and would single side feed.  He is 10 weeks now.  Feeds have decreased to 5-7 minutes.  I pump after and only get 1/2 oz from the fed side.  I offer the other side but he fusses and gets upset so I think he has had enough.  I am now worried about undersupply.  This afternoon I fed him from the right breast and he fed for 6 minutes and was done.  I pumped 1/2 oz from the right and 2.5 oz from the left side.  Does this mean my supply is good. 

I have tried yields and from one breast I usually get 3-4 oz. 

Any advice??

Sabine

annamum

?how to increase supply
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 21:51:23 pm »
This is pretty normal for babies to start eating more efficient at around 6-8 weeks. They eat faster and drain your breast better than any pump.

To see if your lo is having enough milk, look for output, not input. He shouls have enough wet and dirty diapers (norm is 6-7 wet per day and 2-3 dirty per day). Is he gaining weight? In second week babies start gaining 1 ounce per day till 2 months and 0.5 ounce per day till 6 months.
Is he happy, content, goes longer between feeds, is playful and allert?
If yes, you don't need to worry.

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 19:10:18 pm »
Thanks so much for the reply.
He has about 3 BM's per day and 6-7 wet diapers..now the only issue is that he is fussy when I try to feed him after 3 hrs...should I be stretching his feeds to 3.5 or even 4 hrs??  For the last 2 nights he only woke at 2 am after his last feed at 8:30 (no dream feed).  Is this normal??

SP

annamum

?how to increase supply
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 22:28:37 pm »
Yes, he could be not hungry at his "every 3 hours" feeding. You may try to keep him longer and see when he wants to eat, it could be 3 hours and 15 minutes or longer. If this is the case, I would say that your supply is in a rather good shape, women who complain of supply problems have their little ones crying for food more often, because they are hungry.

If he woke after 5.5 hours it is great, he actually had to put himself back to sleep at least once during that longer stretch. He may be just such baby that needs to feed less often but when he nurses he drains your breast well.

Good luck!