Author Topic: Problems with judging when to nap  (Read 1569 times)

Offline J&E Mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 08, 2005, 09:59:53 am »
Hi - new to the forum so please bear with me. :D
I am a massive fan of easy as my adorable 11 week old has slept trrough for a good few weeks now. However I am having problems with his daytime naps and would welcome some advice. He is grumbling nearly everytime I put him down in the day now and I am not sure whether I am putting him down too soon and he is not tired or he is overtired. If I wait for a yawn or a cry I have definitely missed the window but if I put him down before a cue he still protests. He is still on 3 hour easy and is awake time between feeds is between 1-2 hours. How long do you think is the correct awake time for an 11 week old?

Doing EASY with siblings - My only problem with easy is that it is ok when you only have one child but when another one needs you I dont think you can have a perfect routine all the time, My toddler needs taking to playgroup and can be a typical noisy 2 year old so baby's naps are sometimes cut short. Anyone any tips on EASY with 2?

:D
Mummy to
James (29/4/03) very spirited (but good fun!)
Ewan (16/6/05) born an angel but can be bit of everything!

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Problems with judging when to nap
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 13:29:20 pm »
Hi

1-2 hours sounds like a long awake time for 11 weeks to me.

It could be that by the time you hit the first yawn he's already overtired. Try watching his body movements. They become much less co-ordinated and their movements are more jerky when they become tired. Keep an eye out for that and if you see him get like that put him down straight away (before the yawns start). Hopefully that will help.

Let us know how you get on.

love
Marie

Offline J&E Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 11:53:34 am »
Thanks Marie
I have actually tried that but he still seems to protest, that is why I thought I was getting him frustrated by putting him down too soon when he isnt tired. I am however going to persevere with this and shortening his awake time.
Thanks again
Lisa
PS - I think we are neighbours - are you St Helens, Merseyside - We live in Wigan
Mummy to

jade's mum

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:04:48 pm »
hi there,

my lo is 8 wks old and on a 3 hour EASY plan. I find that she can only stay awake for 1 - 1.5hrs max (during which she has a feed, nappy change and some activity time) before she starts yawning. When the yawns start, I will swaddle her, and she will protest and start fussing (grunting and stiffening her body), but it's happened enough times for me to realise that its just her way of getting ready for bed (as wierd as that sounds!)

Keep perservering, you're doing a great job, especially with two children!

cheers

Offline J&E Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 15:52:17 pm »
Cheers for your replies
If your los are only awake for 1 1/2 hrs did you never go out? After feeding for half an hour doesnt leave much time to get out and about. I think that is what I am finding so frustrating. I was a real out and about Mum with my first baby and do struggle being tied to the house. There are also 2 afternoon playgroups which my toddler likes and I dont think its fair if he cant go, I dont want someone else to take him as I dont want him to think I spend all my time with baby.
Any views from anyone about breaking your routine two afternoons a week and go without the afternoon sleep even if it means having an overtired baby when you get back?
Sorry I know I am rambling!!!
Cheers
Mummy to

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 16:57:54 pm »
As long as you're consistant the other days there shouldn't be too much of a problem.  You have your life too, you can't put it on hold completely. Do what you can to get your lo rested those days when you'll be out with your toddler, if you can have someone help you out by watching him great, if not, do what you can and don't sweat it too much!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005