Author Topic: dysphagia/reflux/intolerance very confused  (Read 2586 times)

Offline babesx2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
dysphagia/reflux/intolerance very confused
« on: September 08, 2005, 18:59:15 pm »
hi every1  :)

iv been reading sum of the post about all the above to try and get sum help with 1 of my ds's (twins) but am totally confussed as he seems to have a few symptoms of all them  :cry:

they are now 10 wks old,were totally bf in the beging but guilty iv gradually gone on to bottles,which both took to very well and were very contented on,had slight problem with 1 which i though was slight refulx did everything i read on here and problem seems to b improving greatly.other twin had always feed realy well on bottle drainin it and winding no prob untill last 2 weeks ish. now feedin feels like an on goin battle  :cry:  he takes 2oz VERY well then thats it he arches his back squerms crys so i wind him,he takes bottle again straight after (hes doesnt cry when he sees it) sucks about 5 times and does the same again,and so it goes on,if i put him down or change his nappy he is happy for about 5-10mins and then crys like hes not been feed for weeks ??? this can go on for 1hour to 2 hours and with another little 1 to feed is gettin very hard.he is also havin infcol at mo as he had very bad bout of wind last week (which i though woz the whole prob no such luck)

he does feed better at nite as well,but had no respiratory problems at all,he doesnt spit any back is rarelly sick as said does not cry when sees bottle (at the moment) when i last had him weighed he had put 9 1/2 oz on in 2 weeks although that was b4 he started gettin realy bad at feeding.

have spoken to dh and we agree to take him to dr next if he is no better,but as u probably already no if u tell a dr you have seen sumthin on the net they look at you like your a over anxiuos mother !!

we would so like to enjoy our boys again  :(  ANY advice would b VERY VERY welcome

sarah

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 23:47:31 pm »
Hi Sarah,
Your little guy's symptoms sounds JUST like my refluxer during his first few months.  We would deal horrible feedings - drink 2 oz, pull off and cry, back on, pull off, back on, pull off.  I would definitely talk to the doc about it, since after a couple mos of this, my kiddo developed a terrible bottle aversion that he still deals with at 9 mos.  You don't need to mention the internet research, but just list his symptoms.  My doc always gives the  :roll:  when I mention the web too.  Once my boy got a reflux med that worked (we tried many) and we changed things around the house (like elevated crib, elevated changing pad, etc), feedings went a lot more smoothly, and he seemed so much happier.  I hope that things get better!  Let us know how it goes!
Sheila
ng

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 01:56:29 am »
Have you tried changing the nipple size?  Maybe he's getting frustrated that it's too slow?  In the evening, my kiddos were always more relaxed/sleepy so they drank slower, but during the day - gimme gimme!  Let us know how it goes  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline babesx2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 18:31:56 pm »
hi all

thanks for replys

ok last nite i woz feeling at the end of my tether and it woz bad enough feelin id failed at bf let alone that i couldnt bottle feed rite :cry:  (the preasure we put on ourselfs eh) so when he woke at 4am for feed and took his usual 2oz i winded as usual and tryed agian he woz havin none of it so had little cuddle and he seemed quite content,so didnt try and get anymore in him and he went just over 3hours till next feed,not ideal as iv been tryin get on to a4 hourly schedual but he seemed quite content which is my main concern.

so this afternoon when he took again his 2oz i did the same he cryed after an hour tryed again and nope so didnt force and he went 3 n 1/2 hours !!!!!! next feed he took nearly 5 oz so my question am i beein to pushy tryin to get him take 4oz after all we dont always feel like a big meal. :oops:

so far he has had 14 1/2 oz today that in 12 hours is this enough ?? he must weigh just over 10lb now  :?

oh i have also bought some b free/dr brown bottles in the hope they would help  :?

Offline babesx2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 18:41:50 pm »
:oops: sorry forgot say i tryed them both wiht No2 teats with avent bottles b4 and most went down there neck.will c how go with new bottles mayb try 2 with them if no better

have both moses baskets elavated read sum were mayb it woz tracey that siad it that all babies under 3months should b elavated

hope dont sound like im poo pooing your ideas i realy appreciate any advice,n its helps nowin that your no the only1

ps sorry about spellin im dog tierd and its neve been that good lol  :oops: wot im gona do when lads get older and ask me how spell somthin  :oops:  :shock:

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 20:51:37 pm »
Hi have you recieved the dr brown bottles yet? how are they? i have just oredred some as having simialr problems as you, its exhausting isnt it :(

Kelly x
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/judeethan  PASSWORD JUDE

url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 10:27:32 am »
Quote from: babesx2
:oops: sorry forgot say i tryed them both wiht No2 teats with avent bottles b4 and most went down there neck.will c how go with new bottles mayb try 2 with them if no better

Hi, I just wanted to say that the Avent bottle are notorious for leaking from the cuff. You can prevent this by assembling the bottles while they're wet and by making sure the little lip on the teat is in position correctly. We had nothing but trouble with Avent bottles so eventually changed to a different type and had no problems after that.

love
Marie

Offline babesx2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 17:54:08 pm »
hi kelly

yes i got them  :lol:  yes they are loads better,in the fact that my younger twin anthony doesnt get it all down his neck and round his mouth now,i could feed him with out the bid,though not feeling that brave yet  :lol: also any wind he does have seems to come up easyer and hes not being half as sicky,but.........  :cry:  unfotunantly its not solved aidens prob with the off on and discomfort.iv tryed gripe water infcol colief drops even a tiny tiny drop of brandy (mum says i was raised on it,which could explain a few things :oops: )  in warm water and dipped his dummy in it iv been that desprate to stop his pain,took him to the dr this morning he says it colic !!!!! im no convinced hes told me to give him calpol 1hr 2 1/2 hour b4 hes feed whcih complety messes up any kinda easy routine we had cuz 1 way or the other iv gota either wake him AND then pacify him for 1/2 hour  :( or wait for him to wake and pacify him AND make him go 1/2 hour longer for feed,which i cant do.confused or wot?

feeling quite low about it all today.thought the dr i went to see would have given me more time felt he didnt take me seriously  :(

sarah x

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 19:12:12 pm »
You seem to be going through the same as me, its awful isnt it. I have tried the infacol and gripe water but doesnt seem to do anything. Thanks for your info on the sterilzer, i will wait until my bottles arrive and let you know if i need your help.

Thanks again and good luck, i know what your going through. Im seeing my GP on thursday, and if he thinks he can fob me off with colic hes got another thing coming :twisted:

Kelly xx

Offline babesx2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 19:24:19 pm »
let me know wot he says.i wanted to try everythin b4 i went just so i could say 'iv tryed that dont work' so we didnt have the going back n forth tryin this n that.

just makes ya feel worse when they dont seem to listen,and aiden was screamin his head off at the time as well  :cry:

still iv had 1 or 2 smiles out of him today and that makes its seem not so bad

thanks take care  :)

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 20:17:08 pm »
Its great when they smile at least you know youre doin something correct!! Will let you know what the doctor says,

Thanks kelly xx