Author Topic: Warm formula??  (Read 3390 times)

Holly n Harvie

Warm formula??
« on: September 08, 2005, 22:52:43 pm »
When I started to feed DS formula at 8 weeks I gave it to him at basically room temp. My MIL watched him for a day and started to heat his bottles pretty warm, saying that it is easier to digest that way (heats the water first then added the formula). Now... what I am wondering is, is it necessary to have a hot bottle? Also, DS is on anit-reflux formula and Zantac. The S-26 AR says to mix in cold water but it doesn't say to also feed him with the bottle cold. Should I still heat it up for him? Or should I try to give it to him cool??? AAAHHHHH  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Warm formula??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 23:40:14 pm »
Hi!  As far as I know, you absolutely don't need to heat the bottle if your little one will take it room temp.  I would think it would be more convenient to serve it room temp for when you are away from home.  I also have a refluxer, you don't need to heat the bottle with AR formula.  Some babies just prefer warm over room temp...  So I say if you have been doing room temp formula, keep it up!   :D
Sheila
ng

Holly n Harvie

Warm formula??
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 00:05:59 am »
Cool. That is reassuring!! Thanks for that!!

Holly

Offline Duckie

• Showing Appreciation 183
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 00:12:29 am »
When Andrew was a wee one, there were times where we took it out of the fridge and he drank it cold (granted, these were the middle of the night I think I slept too long and MAAAAN am I hungry feedings!)!
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Warm formula??
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 01:53:55 am »
I agree, there is no reason is HAS to be warm.  When Zoe was around 2-3months I started giving it to her cold...and she did fine.  Then one week she started to take less ounces so I heated it up - don't know what I was thinking!!!!  Then we had to heat it up all the time.  At 6 months i went cold turkey and started giving them to her straight out of the refridgerator.  It took a few days but now all is well - it so sooooo much more convenient  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Holly n Harvie

Warm formula??
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 02:20:06 am »
Wow, great information.  :D  I thought that there was some sort of major reason for heating up formula. I have to feed DS in an hour and will give it to him out of the fridge and see what happens. He should be hungry as we have started to extend sleep and wake times to get him on 4 hourly EASY... wish me LUCK !!!!  :?   :)

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Warm formula??
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 02:34:17 am »
Hey again...
Here's a great thread for you to check out....

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/formula-temperature-vt34196.html

:D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Warm formula??
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 02:39:42 am »
Ewan had room temp formula for a a while and then we switched to right out of the fridge by the time he was 2 months.  He never minded but I guess he never knew the difference either :wink: .

Offline M&M'sMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/thomastwinsicles/
Warm formula??
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 23:48:55 pm »
My dd's pediatrician said that the formula being heated is really just for their own palate- and there is no difference whether it is warm or cool. He even suggested giving it to the girls at a cooler temp when it was warm out citing "would you like to drink hot coco on a hot day?"
Made sense to me!
Maisie Lyn Caroline (angel)
March 19/05 6:16 am
Makaylee Lyn Jennifer (angel)
March 19/05 6:21 am

Offline M&M'sMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/thomastwinsicles/
Warm formula??
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 23:49:18 pm »
My dd's pediatrician said that the formula being heated is really just for their own palate- and there is no difference whether it is warm or cool. He even suggested giving it to the girls at a cooler temp when it was warm out citing "would you like to drink hot coco on a hot day?"
Made sense to me!
Maisie Lyn Caroline (angel)
March 19/05 6:16 am
Makaylee Lyn Jennifer (angel)
March 19/05 6:21 am

Holly n Harvie

Warm formula??
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 00:21:35 am »
Thanks ladies you have really reassured my hunches. You should have seen my MIL's face yesterday when I gave her the bottle to feed Harvie and she saw that it was room temp. She said "ooo do you want me to heat it up for you?" I said "nope, he likes it a bit cooler now, thanks"  :lol:  all cheery... sheesh. It is SO much easier and he eats better too.  :wink:

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Warm formula??
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 02:11:34 am »
You show 'er, Holly!!!   :lol:   MIL's eyebrows may be raised, but your life will be much easier feeding room temp.  Good for you.
Sheila
ng