Author Topic: need to get babies into own cot!! Help  (Read 1173 times)

Offline simba

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 09, 2005, 13:03:12 pm »
I have 5mth old twin boys who as I was feeding myself have always slept in our bed, now they are on bottles since they were 12wks and we cannot get them into their cots we have tried one cot and two seperate cots we have tried putting them in asleep and they move around that much that they wake up we have put them in awake and they will fall asleep in it for about 30mins and then wake up but but them into the bed and they are asleep in seconds and sleep for about 9hrs straight!  I need to get this sorted as we now want to start going out again but cant leave them with a babysitter till they are sleeping in cots!! any advice is welcome
def

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
need to get babies into own cot!! Help
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 01:59:22 am »
Hi, you might want to check out our Multiples Board if you haven't already. There are only a couple moms/dads of twins that post on these boards.

With putting them in their own beds, have you tried putting something that smells like you in their own bed? You can also let them play in their cribs during the day so they like them and aren't afraid of them. Once you decide to go for the night sleeping in their own beds, if they wake, just put them back down in their own bed. Every time you take them back into your bed, it reinforces that is where they want to be. If they are used to sleeping together, you may need to put them in the same crib for a while, and then split them up. Hopefully someone on the multiples board has posted about something like that. You may want to read some of the old posts. Good luck!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 17:18:19 pm »
I coslept with our dd for the first 4 months and the only way that I was able to move her into her own bed was by doing a bedtime routine.  I started this at 3 months old and then moved her at 4 months.  By the time she moved to her bed she knew that the bedtime routine (bath, nurse and read 2 books) meant that she was out for the night.  She is settled now and I can just lay her in her crib and she will put herself to sleep. 
How I transitioned her to her crib from our bed:
For the first week or 2 I would do the bedtime routine (the exact same thing every night) and then pat/shhh her in her crib until asleep.  If she woke up before 1am, I would pat/shh her again or if hungry would feed her.  If she woke up after 1am, I would bring her to our bed.  After about 2 weeks of this, if she woke up after 1am, I would feed her and then put her back into her bed.  It only took about 2 days for her to be comfortable in her crib the whole night! 
Also, I think it is a great idea to let them play in their crib, it makes them feel safe once they are left in there!
Good luck and if you have any other questions, PM me anytime!
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05