Author Topic: Increasing supply while pregnant?  (Read 962 times)

Offline kriskiss

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Increasing supply while pregnant?
« on: September 09, 2005, 18:00:13 pm »
Hi, my son is 11 months and I am 19 weeks pregnant.  I noticed a dramatic change in the amount of milk I was making when I first found out I was pregnant at 10 weeks, and Kris started taking a bottle of formula after several months of point blank refusal.

I thouroughly enjoy feeding him, and must admit that I find it very useful in comforting him/relaxing him when I am having a time of it!!

I have noticed that over the past few weeks that I barely hear him swallow anything, therefore it seems like he is just suckling for comfort which I don't mind but I would like him to still be getting some nourishment from me.  He is taking 4 bottles of formula a day and 3 solid meals and finger food snacks.  I let him latch on when he wants in an attempt to make some milk, but he is doing so less and less.  I drink plenty, and sleep when he is.

Is there anything I can do to increase my supply at all?  Is it ok to let him latch on when there's nothing there?

Many thanks xxxxx

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 18:20:36 pm »
My lactation consultant told me that your milk turns to colostrum at about 20 weeks pregnant. There is no harm in continuing nursing, even if he isn't getting much. It is just nature's way of getting ready for baby #2. Mom's I know who have continued and then tandem nursed, their toddlers were thrilled when the milk came back when baby is born. Helped with jealousy issues, hey look, the baby brought you more milk!  :lol:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 22:36:07 pm »
As Stacy said that is just natural to happen. You shouldn't take now any herbs to increase supply like Fenugreek because they are dangerous for a little one growing inside of you. If you don't mind nursing him without milk, then continue until a new baby arrives with plenty of milk. Nursing, for sure has not only nutritional value, toddlers probably nurse mostly for comfort, and for food.

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 06:58:03 am »
I am still nursing my dd (at 37wks pregnant) and like you say, she is not getting much from me.  She swallows a bit at the beginning, and then I'm pretty sure she is just suckling for enjoyment/comfort.  I'm sure she is getting antibodies from me still, if not any other real nutrition.  Usually she will just keep saying "more more" and want to swop sides again and again, so I let her do this for a while before she stops, or I distract her with something.  I wonder what she'll be like when the baby and milk comes!  I have been trying to prepare her by telling her soon the baby will have mummy's milk too etc.  So we'll see what happens!  Still, dd and I enjoy this quiet time together (it's only once a day now).

Offline kriskiss

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 07:57:34 am »
Thanks everyone you've made me feel tons better.  I shall just keep going as planned until he chooses not to.  Thanks millions again xxx