Author Topic: Right Now A.E.S.Y.... How to switch to E.A.S.Y.?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline marleyfloydbabe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Right Now A.E.S.Y.... How to switch to E.A.S.Y.?
« on: September 09, 2005, 18:15:41 pm »
So the Baby Whisperer book says that I should feed her when she wakes up.  The problem is that she won't take the breast at that time.  In fact, she's a VERY spirited baby and only seems to want the breast when it's her idea

I tried holding her standing up and coaxing her to the boob.  I even tried sticking her face to my boob, hoping she'd finally just take it.  It just infuriates her  :x and she started getting anxious EVERY time I gave her the breast, so I'm at my wits end!  :shock:

I've been trying to get her to sleep without the breast and I've managed that, but it seems to be the only time she'll take it and I want her to get her nutrition.   :roll: The only time she'll eat when she wakes up is if I mix breast milk with rice cereal and feed it to her by spoon. 

How do I get her to eat when she wakes up rather than right before she goes to sleep :?:  Nothing's working, and I'm about ready to go back to what was working before... HELP!!! :!:

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 18:37:14 pm »
How old is your lo?  Although Tracy's book says to eat once they wake up, as long as you're not feeding to sleep (and it sounds like you've licked that :D ), then you're on the right track.  Some babies get very distractible (mine did!  :roll: ) and it helps to get to them right on wake up - in the dark, quiet room when they're still sleepy.  I still have to do that - otherwise, she can go 6, 7 hrs during the day without asking sometimes! How often are you feeding too? Does she get a chance to get hungry?  Try not to stress about it!  Routine is great, but Tracy never meant for it to be TOO strict!  You have to find a compromise that works for both of you. HTH!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 22:44:25 pm »
When I was switching to EASY at 2.5 months, my dd refused my breast at night because she used to be nursed to sleep. From 6 pm she wouldn't take it if it was before her bath, she knew that if she nurses before a bath she will have to go to sleep without nursing. Honestly, I didn't like this self-inflicted nursing strike and I returned to offer her breast before sleep. From there things returned to normal. My advice is not very BW but she was also a spirited baby and I decided to do what worked for us at that time. I thought that nursing was more important then than teaching her to sleep on her own and decided to wait till later.

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 02:58:16 am »
I understand completely!  I try to follow EASY--do my best, but the fact is, some babies like to be nursed to sleep!  My 4 1/2 year old was nursed before bed at night for 13 months.  But the day I weaned her, we never had a problem.  I'm hoping we have the same luck with our 2nd (now 5 1/2 weeks). When your baby gets a bit older, try a sippy cup of breast milk and then a pacifier before bed, being put down by someone else besides you.  It worked for us the first time
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er