Author Topic: Playing at naptime  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Lara P

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 09, 2005, 19:06:27 pm »
My son, Liam, is 5 months old.  After noting he has definite sleep cues, I try to put him down for a nap after quiet time, etc, with swaddling and a pacifier when he is good and drowsy.  The problem is that once he is in the crib, he unswaddles himself and starts to play when he should be going to sleep.  The only way to get him to sleep is if I stay in there to shush him and rub his head or pick him up and rock him until he's asleep, but I don't want him to be dependant on me to get to sleep.  I have tried to let him play until he falls asleep, but he never does and can go for a while until he gets overtired and cranky. 

Do I still do the PU/PD even though he is not crying?  How long do I let him go before I get him up? 

What do I do?!?!  He's not getting enough sleep!  HELP!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks...

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Playing at naptime
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 21:47:16 pm »
well... i don't think there is much you can do if he isn't crying... 5 months is a normal time for them to start playing when it's time to go down and then drift off.  i'd leave him, & then go back in & resettle if/when he gets cranky.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Lara P

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 01:04:49 am »
Thanks, Jaime, for your help.  Today he was so tired he fell asleep for all naps immediately, so I couldn't work on your suggestion, but I know I will have a chance very soon...

How long should I keep trying to get him to sleep before I just get him up?  Some days he can play in there for over an hour and not sleep.  I usually give up by then.  Should I wait longer than that?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Playing at naptime
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 01:41:45 am »
i just typed out this long response to you, and managed to hit something to erase the whole thing!!!!  :x   :roll:

the gist of it was that it's okay if he stays in there & plays the whole time.  at least he has some downtime & is learning how to play independently.

it'll then be likely that he'll be tired after his next feed & go down quickly.  let him sleep or you'll have one cranky guy on your hands.  :wink:

the reason it happens is cause 5 & 6 months is a huge developmental time, and they want to practice all their new skills.  if you're careful & don't introduce any props at this point, once he's worked through it all he should go back to reliably sleeping.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy