Author Topic: How often should 3 month old be eating??  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 09, 2005, 19:08:27 pm »
My 3/12 old is fussy after I place him to breast after 3 hrs.  Can he go longer stretches now??? If so how long and how long can he go for during the night??

HELP>>:(

SP

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
How often should 3 month old be eating??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 19:19:29 pm »
Not sure on your history and if you've been doing any type of routine, but it totally depends on the l.o. for how long they can go.  At that age, my dd was eating every 3 hours or so, and going one longer stretch at night, I think, that was sometimes 6 hours.

Can you tell when when your d.s. is hungry?  Do you see any cues?  Rooting, a certain cry?

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 19:41:27 pm »
This is what makes it hard...he used to be every 3 hrs on EASY but now if I try to feed him at 3hrs he hits,pulls and gets upset and fusses at the breast.  He was 9 lbs 13oz at birth and is almost 16lbs now.  I can't read his cues anymore..he never cries and would always put his fingers in his mouth when he was hungry before.  Now he puts his fingers in his mouth before and after feeds which makes it harder for me to know if he is really hungry.  The only way I can tell is to try and nurse him.

SP

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
How often should 3 month old be eating??
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 21:01:44 pm »
He's gaining weight well.  How long does he tend to go overnight without a feed?  Have you tried stretching his daytime feeds to every 3.5 hrs?  I'd try that and see if he's more interested in feeding.  The other possibility is that he's just more distractible and would rather look around and play than eat!  :roll:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha