Author Topic: 12 mo old weaning from daytime bf-- any advice?  (Read 840 times)

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
12 mo old weaning from daytime bf-- any advice?
« on: September 09, 2005, 22:47:16 pm »
I thought I'd post just to see if anyone has any advice and to make sure I'm going about this right.  My girl just turned 1.  I am starting to phase out the mid-day feeds, hoping to get to just a morning and bedtime bf in a month or even two.  I don't mind continuing the morning and bedtime nursings until she self-weans, or until I'm knocked up again and can't manage it anymore.  I've been giving small amounts of whole milk, and she doesn't seem to have any problems with it (DH and I don't, so I wasn't too worried).  I have started by eliminating the post-morning-nap bf (around 10:30 or 11:00) as that seemed the least important, and lunch is just arounf the corner.  I give her a small snack (fruit or whole wheat cracker with a sippy of milk).  Before now, her only snacks were those two bf's.  She seems to miss the nursing, but doesn't demand it.  She is not taking in much milk at all.  I worry that she won't get enough fluids/calcium (though I do give her yogurt or cheese every day).  When dis your lo's start to take in more milk?  I tried a different sippy-- a straw type-- and that seemed to help.  However, I'm a little anti-sippy (at least the no-spill kind-- I'll tell you more if you ask), so I don't want her to depend on this to take in milk.  But I'll use it in the mean time.  She uses the old-fashioned sippy cup (that plastic tupperware cup with the clear spout top, the kind that is not spill-proof) for water with great success, and has been for three months, independently.

Okay, this post is totally convoluted.  Here are my questions:

When did your lo start to take in more cow's milk?
Do I need to worry about how much she's taking in?
When should I start to phase out the other post-nap feed?

Any thoughts/experiences are appreciated.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
12 mo old weaning from daytime bf-- any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 21:33:13 pm »
I went down to 2 bf a day at age 1.  I gave a small sippy of whole milk as a snack before his nap in the morning.  When he woke it was time for lunch when he got water.  In the afternoon I gave another small sippy of milk.  Like you I used the old fashioned type with free-flowing spout.

Even now at 21 months, he has a sippy of milk when he first wakes up, milk at 10.30 before his one nap of the day at 11am (my preference to do a late-morning nap and not after lunch) and then with a small snack in the afternoon. 

He generally only gets milk or water.  Now he is older he uses the non-spill avent magic  cup or sport-top bottle for water and milk in the free-flowing spout.  Now I know what he wants to drink depending on which cup he brings me.

Fluid intake will increase with experience and you may need to experiment with different cups / beakers etc to find the one that your DC uses best.

Alex