Author Topic: please help me  (Read 989 times)

Offline sherilee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 10, 2005, 14:34:31 pm »
I dont know how much more I can do this breastfeeding for if I dont get some structure. Sometimes he goes one hour, then two sometimes three. I cant seem to get any routine and this feeding on demand is getting me down as I cant go anywhere as I dont know when he want to feed again.

Please can someone advise me?

Offline amheusser

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
please help me
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 17:52:16 pm »
How old is your lo?  That will make all the difference in feeding times.

After about a month, I was totally not on-demand any longer.  Not to say we watched the clock, but we were around 3 hours pretty consistently, though if she seemed hungry earlier I'd feed her (though not a whole hour earlier). 

So with a newborn you'll have to be on-call all the time (and it gets easier once you just get used to feeding anywhere), but after that you can nudge them into a structure, just not a rigid schedule. 

Don't give up - it will get better, and then you'll realize how it was worth the weeks of trouble!
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
please help me
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 19:35:41 pm »
Aubrey's right - it WILL get better!  It's hard at first when they seem to want to eat all the time, I know.  After a while, it'll become easier to read your baby's cues and tell when he's hungry and when he just wants to nurse for comfort.  It can help to do breast compression to really help him empty your breasts and make sure he gets a full feed.  That way, if he's getting the fatty hindmilk, he'll be able to go a bit longer.  Most babies during the first 3 months can go between 2 and 3 hrs (usually closer to 3, but not always).  Are you trying to follow EASY - meaning, feeding him pretty much when he wakes, having some activity (very little when they're young!) and then sleeping a good stretch?

How does your milk supply seem?  Is he having lots of dirty diapers and gaining weight well? How often is he sleeping and does he have periods of alertness? It'll be easier to offer suggestions too, when we know his age.

Breastfeeding can be a wonderful thing once you get the hang of it, but remember, both you and your lo are learning a new skill, so it can take a bit of time to get into the rhythm!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline joslil

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
please help me
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 04:56:47 am »
Hang in there...I always forget that those first few weeks are a little trying.  We are nearing the 2 month mark and mine has finally hit a 2.5 hour schedule and is sleeping 11 hours at night and only waking once (praise God).  Once you are comfortable nursing in public you will hopefully find it so easy to go and do whatever you want whenever you want.  It is also provides great opportunities to sit and rest and cuddle as well.  Also remember that frequent nursing can be due to a growth spurt (increasing your milk supply as well) or comfort for teething, etc.  There is a great book called "Nursing Your Baby" that describes the different stages very accurately.  It is from 1960 I believe and my favorite out there.  Best of luck to you and baby.
S - mom to...
pink - 09/15/2001
pink - 08/31/2003
blue - 07/21/2005