Author Topic: 3 months - how long for A time?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
3 months - how long for A time?
« on: September 10, 2005, 18:02:21 pm »
Caeden is 3 months old tomorrow and I was wondering about how long his A time should be. We have been anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours trying to find a good time and get him to go to sleep without screaming or nursing to sleep and haven't found it yet. Any suggestions?
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 18:47:14 pm »
I'd suggest start reading his cues about 45-60 min after waking up, including his eating time.  Also, after he's done eating, let him have some very active time for about 15 min and then switch him to something very low-key.  This should help reduce his overstimulation and may help you be able to read his cues better.

What is his temperament?  Touchy or spirited, by chance?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 21:40:49 pm »
Not sure on the temperment - but I would guess spirited or touchy!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 23:20:44 pm »
I think the most important thing right now is to try to figure out his tired cues so that you can react quickly when you see them.  If possible, try to keep most activity low-key for the next few days.

Also, I think you need to work on not nursing him to sleep at all.  This causes problems for all naps and bedtime because it confuses him.  If he's like my ds (and he sounds similar), he probably wants to nurse to sleep all the time, no matter how tired he is.   :?

Let us know how he's doing!

(btw, a friend of mine is having a baby any day now and she and her dh have decided to name him Caeden, but with a slightly different spelling.  :D)

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 01:23:59 am »
What's funny on the nursing to sleep is he rarely will do it. Only when he is so exhausted will he nurse to sleep. So that is good, but lately it seems like nothing I do can get him to go to sleep. He woke from a 45 min nap at 5:30, nursed, changed diaper and had a bath. Laid on a blanket for about 5 minutes and nursed again. Then we went outside and he sat and watched the sky, chewed on his fingers and was acting very tired and wouldn't go to sleep. Tried the paci several times and that made him scream - gave it up for awhile. Nursed again for about 5 minutes, he was finished and didn't want any more. BTW - I always nurse till he comes off, let him decide when he is done. Finally - knew he needed to go to sleep, held him in the position he typically falls asleep in and walked him, gave him the paci - he screamed for about 5 maybe 7 minutes and was out. I wish I could get him to sleep without screaming like that, but after an hour of quiet and wind down he was still so tired and no where near sleep. Anyway, I also wish he would eat on a 3 hour schedule - he eats much better when he is hungry and not just snacking..... I will work on that some more and just try not to offer it. It's hard though when he is down there rooting around for it! I know he isn't really hungry though cause he had eaten pretty good earlier.
Thanks for the advice - we will give it a shot the next few days!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 03:22:15 am »
I'm in the same boat regarding the snacking... it's a vicious cycle that's hard to break because he wakes up 2-3 times at night to eat.  One or two of those are snacking because I can tell he doesn't empty the breast fully and he refuses to eat more.  It's not like I'm going to force him, but I am not sure when he's going to eat fully (I've let him cry for half an hour then decide he's hungry and he'll empty out both sides and it's only been 2-3 hours since the last feed).  :shock:

His pedi told me to try this:  Let him eat 3 min from one side, the switch to the other side for 3 min, then switch back to the first side.  The reason for doing this is that he will eat the frontmilk, which will fill his tummy part way and will allow him to relax and finish the rest of the milk.  Maybe you could try that?  (I stopped doing that a while ago but started up again today since I realized he's back to snacking full force.)