Author Topic: DS Choking on Bottle - Please Help!  (Read 1751 times)

Offline connors_mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
DS Choking on Bottle - Please Help!
« on: September 09, 2005, 17:41:43 pm »
My 9-week old son seems to choke/sputter on his bottles, but only occasionally and seemingly randomly! I'm trying to find a pattern to when he does this, but don't see one. He sometimes will finish off an entire bottle very well, with rythmic, controlled sucking and swallowing. Other times, he'll eat well at first, then will sputter and choke through the last half of the bottle. Other times he sputters through the entire bottle!

I'll describe his choking/sputtering: he will suck a few times, then will stop and appear to be overwhelmed by the mouthful of milk, eyes open wide as if surprised, then will either swallow the mouthful with trouble or get frustrated and let it leak out of his mouth. Sometimes he cries, sometimes he coughs/chokes when he does this. He also stiffens his body and appears uncomfortable. I sometimes hear gurgling in his tummy just before the choking starts to happen. He doesn't cry after feeding as long as we try to make sure he eats enough.

We thought he might be doing this because he's full, but sometimes that's just not possible (it's been 6 hours since last feed!). We also checked that the nipples are slow-flow and not worn out. We've also tried changing his feeding angle/position, but none of it makes a difference.

What's frustrating, as I mentioned, is that he doesn't choke every time we feed him. Sometimes he eats perfectly! We're getting pretty frustrated/worried and can't seem to find any info on this anywhere on the net. Does anyone have advice?

stasztk

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 19:29:40 pm »
I am sure he is fine. My dd does the same thing. I have no idea why she does it but she is doing great on her growth.  I think she is just silly :roll:  If you are really worried don't be afraid to ask a doctor.

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 20:22:40 pm »
I  know you said you tried changing angles... have you tried with him practically upright? The milk could be coming back up a bit... just a thought... sorry I have no other advice...

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 20:25:20 pm »
Have you checked this thread out??

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/fussy-feeders-dysphagia-a-possibilty-other-than-reflux-vt34256.html

Is the nipple maybe getting clogged?

Just trying to come up with some possibilities  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 10:54:45 am »
Quote (selected)
He also stiffens his body and appears uncomfortable

Classic reflux symtom, although hopefully your LO does not have this but id go to the doctors and get it ruled out.  My DS does this (choking/stiffening up) and has reflux.
Hana.xx

Holly n Harvie

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 11:21:24 am »
Ooooo sounds all too familiar. Harvie did all the same things. I started a topic a few weeks ago about him arching his back and pulling away from his bottles. I took him to see his doc and she gave us reflux meds (Zantac syrup) and I will tell ya what... he is a different baby. SO much better. He still does some of the same things, but WAY less. I also have him on a thicker formula (anti reflux) and he is trying to get used to the heavier flow nipples. He does the cough and sputter thing too, but he is getting much better. We are on day 3 now. We go and see the doc on Monday to let her know how he is doing.

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 16:07:00 pm »
Yes, sooo familiar.  Those sound like classic reflux.  He could be choking, turning red, stiffening because the milk in his stomache is coming back up, so he is silently refluxing.  I would definitely talk to his ped.  Maybe videotape one of these episodes to show the doctor?
Sheila
ng

Offline connors_mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 19:23:35 pm »
Thank you all sooo much for your advice and tips. I suspected it might be reflux, but wasn't sure. I will definitely videotape his feedings and bring him to the dcotor to see what she has to say.

Don't know what I'd do without this forum! :D