Author Topic: Is it safe to use 2 types of formula?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Is it safe to use 2 types of formula?
« on: September 11, 2005, 13:16:23 pm »
You may have read that Ive recently changed formula for my LO after hes been having terrible wind probs.

I was using Aptimil and now am using omneo comfort.

The only thing is - the wind has reduced but he's becoming constipated...

I was wondering is it safe to perhaps give him aptimil in the daytime and the comfort milk at night so he's digesting more comfortably as he sleeps....

Just a thought!

Helen xx

Offline hollyandchloesmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 13:34:25 pm »
What aptimil are you using the no 1 (first milk) or no 2 (hungrier baby food)?
jane
dd1 - chloe 24.4.2
dd2 - holly 18.3.5

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 14:09:34 pm »
Hi

I was actually using both on advice of my health visitor  .. 1 in the day and 2 at night.

The reason for this was on just 1 he was always hungry, and on just 2 was less hungry but he had a lot of wind pain. After a while we found that using both left him more satisfied and less windy but still suffering quite considerably from the wind so in the end I decided to go for the omneo comfort.. and that is what he is on now.
The wind is better but he's getting constipated...

I just want to try to reach a happy medium and perhaps using the gentle formula at night so he's more settled to sleep and perhaps Aptamil 1 in the day to prevent him from getting constipated..

I just don't know if its a safe thing to do.. don't want to make him ill.

Helen x

Offline hollyandchloesmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 21:07:25 pm »
Hi, my dd1 had Aptamil for hungry babies and was very badly constipated.

With dd2 Aptamil didn't suit, so now we are on Cow and Gate 1st first milk for am and pm and Cow and Gate 2nd milk (for hungry babies) at night time and it works for us.

Just a bit confused so are you using Aptamil for hungry babies in the day and Omeno (sorry spelling) in the evening?  I'm sure Omeno Comfort can make them constipated does it say on the tin? So, maybe using these both together my make the constipation work.  It may have to use the Aptamil First milk with the Omeno Comfore. Also, if he suffers with wind have you tried the Dr Brown bottles, as this helps.  Also about an hour after a feed have you tried giving him a baby message there are certain tummy strokes that you can do that help wind.  Have you tried Colief?

Just thought if you are in the uk most surgeries will offer you free baby message classes.  Also if you ds suffers from wind badly you can get Colief on prescription as it costs about 10 pounds per bottle.
jane
dd1 - chloe 24.4.2
dd2 - holly 18.3.5

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 21:21:27 pm »
Hi,

I'm unsure of your formula's over there but I wanted to tell you we (up until a week ago) used two types of formula with our dd. A "regular" one during the day (Nestle Good Start) and one with added rice starch at night (Enfamil AR) to help with her reflux and we never had any problems with it. Hope that's a bit of help... and if you're terribly unsure you could check with the doctor. We also use Dr. Browns bottles and they've helped a great deal.

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 22:05:01 pm »
Hi

Im glad Im not the only one that found that Aptamil 2 causes problems if used on its own. When we used just the 2 all day and night it left his doubled over with tummy ache.

At the moment I'm just using Omneo Comfort and what I was trying to say earlier is that Id like to reintroduce the Aptamil 1 milk during the day and continue using Omneo Comfort at night... just wsnt sure whether it was a good idea or not using more than one type of formula.

I already use Dr Brown bottles and colief - wonderful things!!!

Thanks so much for your responses - I find everyones willingness to help wonderful - this first time mommy business is sooo stressful and it really  helps to have people out there to give reassurance and advice.

Helen xx